stock rim safest tire size

-

monkey

Reaction score
I 195/75/14's on the steel rims, would 225/70/14's be safe on the stock rim? planning on mini tub and spring relocation after I a quire all the parts to do it . Its just the 195's don't really cut it right now. From research I've done 225's would be the limit but I want to hear from the real world on this

The 225/70/14 tires work fine on a 5.5" wide rims. Do you have the wider rims or the regular 4.5" wide rims?

Why mini tub the car if all you are going to run is 225 70 14s?

Will mini tub and relocate after I purchase all the items needed to do it , I need new tires so would like a little different stance in the rear, will eventually be putting in narrowed rear end and running a 295/315 tire on the back

225/70R14 is what I run, fit great, in fact I believe it's the biggest tire you can get on them.

In my opinion a 4½" wide rim is too narrow for a 205 cross-section tire. The rim pinches the tire at the rim causing heavy wear in the center of the tread. Don't take my word for it.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/

This is the factory web site. (The Goodyear site provides similar information.) Search for tires by size. Click on the name of the tire, the click on Specs. One of the columns gives the recommended rim width range. In the case of a 205/70-14, minimum recommended rim width is 5". For the 225/70-14, the minimum rim width is 6".

Some time ago, I asked Stockton Wheel what was the largest wheel/tire combination that would fit under the A-body fender. They told me 235/60-15. I have this under my Demon on cop car wheels. It barely fits. I tried 255/60-15s on the same wheels. This combination did not work for me (too close to rear spring and rubbed fender lip in turns).

I run the 225/70R/14s, but I have a 5.5" wide wheel (measured bead to bead).

I think that may be too much tire for a 4.5" wide wheel. At speed, it could be dangerous. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't risk it if you are planning to upgrade later.

-Mike

is that measuring bead seat to bead seat or total outside to outside

Wheel Width is an INSIDE dimension measured between the beads. Backspace is measured outside edge to mounting flange. (it's really the inside edge of the wheel from the car's standpoint)

Back in the day, the standard A-body 14" wheel was only 4-1/2" wide. Formula "S" and Dart GTS used a 5-1/2" wheel. Or, if the optional wider low profile tires were ordered (70 aspect ratio) they would come on the 5-1/2" wheel. Widest tire the factory ever put on an A-body was E70, or in today's language 195/70. A 225 would be 3 sizes bigger.

I know cars who run 225/70 on the 5-1/2" wheel (Max in CA) but that's gotta be the limit. There used to be a rule of thumb that the tread width should be within 1/2" either way of the wheel width.

If you really only have the skinny 4-1/2" wheel, I personally wouldn't go bigger than 205's. All of the A-body Rallye wheels were 5-1/2" and they are easy to pick up so you might check into that.

Wheel Width is an INSIDE dimension measured between the beads. Backspace is measured outside edge to mounting flange. (it's really the inside edge of the wheel from the car's standpoint)

Back in the day, the standard A-body 14" wheel was only 4-1/2" wide. Formula "S" and Dart GTS used a 5-1/2" wheel. Or, if the optional wider low profile tires were ordered (70 aspect ratio) they would come on the 5-1/2" wheel. Widest tire the factory ever put on an A-body was E70, or in today's language 195/70. A 225 would be 3 sizes bigger.

I know cars who run 225/70 on the 5-1/2" wheel (Max in CA) but that's gotta be the limit. There used to be a rule of thumb that the tread width should be within 1/2" either way of the wheel width.

If you really only have the skinny 4-1/2" wheel, I personally wouldn't go bigger than 205's. All of the A-body Rallye wheels were 5-1/2" and they are easy to pick up so you might check into that.

I run a 215/70-14 up front on a 4.5' rim and 225/70-14 out back on a 5.5' rim...both fit fine...eventually I may go to a 5.5' up front..but it's good for now.
20121212_141351.jpg

They will work just fine without worries. I had 215/70/14's on the front of my 64 with room to spare.

i run 205/70/14's on 4.5" rims no problem and they look decent
I've got cragars on my car soon to be replaced with some factory steelies and I've run that size with no problem as well.

225/70R14 is what I run, fit great, in fact I believe it's the biggest tire you can get on them.
Would 215/75/14's fit on steelies cause I've got a set on order that will be going on the car soon?r

-
Back