Stock-style Seats & Roll Bar/Cage

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Do any of you have a roll bar/cage with stock style seats? If I'm reading the NHRA rulebook correctly, in addition to the four bottom mounting bolts, the seat needs one bolt securing the seat back to the crossbar. How's that possible without going straight to a race seat like Kirkey, or the like?

1668533489897.png

with stock seats, not required, to bolt seat to bar, the stock seat mounts are just fine, mine bolt to the floor. i have a bench seat in my car. that section is for aftermarket seats. my side bar keeps seat back from going foreward. just food for thought

with stock seats, not required, to bolt seat to bar, the stock seat mounts are just fine, mine bolt to the floor. i have a bench seat in my car. that section is for aftermarket seats. my side bar keeps seat back from going foreward. just food for thought
That was my understanding too. I actually just heard back from our local NHRA rep via email. He said that the seat back does in fact need to be bolted to the cross bar. I followed up asking if that applies to factory stock seats bolted in the factory location. The thing is, nowhere in that section of the rulebook does it say that it applies only to aftermarket seats.

The seats I was looking into are from Procar and don't have provisions for a rear mount. We'll see what the NHRA rep says. It's crazy how many ambiguous rules are in the NHRA rulebook.

Since the 5-point harness holds you firmly down with the 2 shoulder belts holding you to the crossbar, what purpose does a bolt through a lightweight seat to the crossbar serve?

Just heard back from our NHRA division tech director. He clarified that the support for the rear of the seat does not need to be bolted to the seat itself, it just needs to be bolted or welded to the crossbar in a way that prevents the seat from moving rearward at any time.

-
Back