stock upgrade possible?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
So since being stationed in Pendleton since June, ive had a LOT of time to think on what I wanna do with my dart. Suspension is a very large concern for me.

the car is currently a /6 Gma-mobile with upgraded wheels....which I gotta ditch. My initial thought on the project was RMS front and rear. However, reality is a *****. I cannot afford $7k+ for suspension on this car, nor can I justify spending that ever when ill spend less on the engine to be built! So I need to go with upgrading stock

My problem is im not home, don't know enough for what im looking for and recently found out I wont be home or have the car with me for a long time....after schoolin, im bein stationed in Okinawa!

Junkyarding it just isn't possible, nor is purchasing a parts car, since the car lives in my parents garage. I understand I should be able to upgrade the suspension stock style for around $2-3k? is this possible to do with new parts or will I need to find old stuff as well?

the car will eventually gain a 360/904 in place of the current /6 stuff. also want to upgrade to discs up front with LBP so I can get the wheels I want.

biggest reason I wanted RMS all the way around was along with good handling, better steering and all that, its all new stuff. no parts collecting crap which is tough to do from Japan!

EDIT:
Another idea just popped in my head. Hotchkis TVS. significantly cheaper than RMS. However, is this truly a Total Vehicle System? let say my car had no suspension (which it essentially doesn't). could purchasing this kit really take care of everything minus wheels, brakes?

The Hotchkis TVS comes with exactly what it says it comes with. If you want to replace all suspension and steering components you will end up buying additional parts.

Most of which can be found at a good auto parts store.

I think the Hotchkis TVS would be a good way to go.

that's the thing. Im pretty uneducated when it comes to the smaller bits and pieces. I don't have anyone to guide me, aside from the tips I read about here. I often find myself asking questions that are either really dumbed down or way overthinking things!

The Hotchkis TVS kit comes with:
# 1112 Geometry Corrected Tubular Control Arms
#14385 Adjustable Strut Rods
#16385 Adjustable Steering Rods
#22385 Lightweight, Durable 1 1/2" Tubular Front Bar, Adjustable 1" Tubular Rear Bar
#24385 Geometry Corrected Leaf Springs

with that in mind, what else would I need on a car that has no suspension on it? There appears to be no spindles, hubs and the like, so would I need to buy old style spindles and stuff or is that available at an autoparts store?

EDIT:
just found a video of the install on a chally. All the modifications are at the wheel, so I still got to find original spindles and hubs and then get a brake kit. Still old style steering boxes and stuff..still a possibility though, just gotta figure out how to get all the parts I need

I'd say rebuild High performance stock. Look at firm feel's site. Use moog parts and add a front sway bar. Buy the Borgeson power steering box and 76 Cordoba pinned calipers and brackets. Use the larger tie rod ends and adjusters. add a set of Bilsteins or KYB's. You wouldn't believe the difference.

I'd say rebuild High performance stock. Look at firm feel's site. Use moog parts and add a front sway bar. Buy the Borgeson power steering box and 76 Cordoba pinned calipers and brackets. Use the larger tie rod ends and adjusters. add a set of Bilsteins or KYB's. You wouldn't believe the difference.

Basically, these aftermarket firms are pushing you to buy a brand new suspension just to replace your worn-out service parts. New bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends and shocks, to factory HD standards, would make a world of difference. HD torsion bars and rear springs, and any of the available front/rear antisway bar setups (even the cheapie Addco) would basically give you new car handling, if combined with updated alignment specs and quality radial tires.

Be real -- are you prepping to run the Silver State Challenge? Do you regularly autocross or road race? Don't get conned into a full-on Pro Touring conversion unless that's what you have your heart set on. If so, be prepared to spend money.

Basically, these aftermarket firms are pushing you to buy a brand new suspension just to replace your worn-out service parts. New bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends and shocks, to factory HD standards, would make a world of difference. HD torsion bars and rear springs, and any of the available front/rear antisway bar setups (even the cheapie Addco) would basically give you new car handling, if combined with updated alignment specs and quality radial tires.

Be real -- are you prepping to run the Silver State Challenge? Do you regularly autocross or road race? Don't get conned into a full-on Pro Touring conversion unless that's what you have your heart set on. If so, be prepared to spend money.

X2. Great advice.

well for me these kits were just logical because I don't know much and don't wanna end up missing stuff that's hard to find if rebuilding stock. Though obviously my uneducation extends into that as wel! this is why im here, though. Need all the help I can get

The car will be a daily driver. I like the idea of a badass Pro-touring style suspension, but if im gonna be realistic and honest with myself, the car will almost never see the track anyhow. I just know my current set up is garbage and it all needs to be changed to ride beter and handle the SB im gonna put in it. Im a guy who loves detailed lists. if someone could list each and every piece I need and from who to buy from id go for Hi-Po stock. I just understand some stuff isn't repop'd for these cars. For instance, spindles! I wanna upgrade to LBP but when I look at those parts...well idk what im looking for and what can be bought at an auto store vs what I need to salvage for a donor

No one mentioned this option so i'll throw it in there. I don't have the $$ for the alterK and if I did i'd have to plan on taking a huge loss when selling the car considering the end value of a mint A body.

I'm going QA1 with RMS uppers. Tubular K and tube lowers and RMS tube uppers totals out at about 1,274$.

You can save your money while stationed at Okinawa so when you get back (~4 years) you can buy the stuff you want for the car. Another bonus while waiting is newer products will come out during that time (be it engine, brakes, suspension, you get the idea). Just stack that money and wait till you come back.

With all that said and you being stationed in Japan, see if you can buy/drive one of these. They are a real kick in the pants. I used to own one :twisted:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 324
My opinion, if the car is cool to hang at your parents, is to wait. You're going to be temporarily disconnected from the car anyways. Save up 50-60k over a few years and come back to this. Then drop 3k into your suspension & brakes (starting with LBP Disc Brake pieces right here in the FOR SALE section; all this stuff will still be available for a while, especially through fabo).

EDIT: My buddy saved his *** off in the military (4 years navy) and is not only building his dream nova that he's had since high school, he started his own screenprinting business. Found a sexy girl from Tennessee too!

My opinion, if the car is cool to hang at your parents, is to wait. You're going to be temporarily disconnected from the car anyways. Save up 50-60k over a few years and come back to this. Then drop 3k into your suspension & brakes (starting with LBP Disc Brake pieces right here in the FOR SALE section; all this stuff will still be available for a while, especially through fabo).

EDIT: My buddy saved his *** off in the military (4 years navy) and is not only building his dream nova that he's had since high school, he started his own screenprinting business. Found a sexy girl from Tennessee too!

Well if I play my cards right, I should be putting together the dart pretty well. And I already got the sexy girl :D and on top of that, SHE loves the car!:burnout: Oorah!

Reinforce the stock suspension and call it a day. Plenty of grit.

My build #59 and #72.

with all that time carefully pick and make a parts list.
when you find a bargain on FABO,e-bay,Summit or whatever
buy the part and have it shipped home.
it will paid for and waiting for you when you arrive.

with all that time carefully pick and make a parts list.
when you find a bargain on FABO,e-bay,Summit or whatever
buy the part and have it shipped home.
it will paid for and waiting for you when you arrive.

only problem is I don't know everything I need. I don't kno enough to know each piece, whats available at parts stores, ect

For info on upgrades using Mopar parts, you need Tom Condran's book.

Attachments

• condran_flyleaf.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 265
Guy, if you are headed to the rock you have plenty of time to save up the coin you need to put an Alter K in place. I agree with what many others have said here abt saving and not "needing" that level of handling; but, I am a Master Sergeant of Marines myself that has waited many years and too many wives to finally get the car I want, I and putting a Lynx rear end and an Altered K in a 69 Dart. Do it now while you are young enough to enjoy it. In that line of work you should not wait for next year!

Sorry just $0.02 from an old fat guy!

Semper Fi - Top Jeff!

You can save your money while stationed at Okinawa so when you get back (~4 years) you can buy the stuff you want for the car. Another bonus while waiting is newer products will come out during that time (be it engine, brakes, suspension, you get the idea). Just stack that money and wait till you come back.

With all that said and you being stationed in Japan, see if you can buy/drive one of these. They are a real kick in the pants. I used to own one :twisted:

Yea I see a couple of Skyline here (Bahamas)....Right hand drive....I agree they are some nasty rides!:thumbup:

Guy, if you are headed to the rock you have plenty of time to save up the coin you need to put an Alter K in place. I agree with what many others have said here abt saving and not "needing" that level of handling; but, I am a Master Sergeant of Marines myself that has waited many years and too many wives to finally get the car I want, I and putting a Lynx rear end and an Altered K in a 69 Dart. Do it now while you are young enough to enjoy it. In that line of work you should not wait for next year!

Sorry just $0.02 from an old fat guy!

Semper Fi - Top Jeff!

Oorah Msgt! Would that be considered a lawful order? Can't really say no, can I?! I really want to do RMS front and rear but situation and finances dictates whether it'll happen or not. When I come home from Oki, I hope to have the money to get the ol' girl running in daily driver status again. So that requires building the new engine/trans/rear and puttin that in, body and paint along with my suspension brakes and wheels...basically this resto will really kick off once I come back!

Good luck over there. Be careful and stay out of trouble best you can and save some money. There are enough old geezers like me that will lend a hand when you get home getting the ride done!

I for one appreciate what you are doing and I know others do also. There will some help with parts and knowledge when you get home. Semper Fi!

-
Back