Stock vs stroker crank w/ speedmaster rods

-

egonz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m in the process of building my first 360 and am debating on making it a 408 stroker. I will be using speed pro h116cp pistons 30 over & speedmaster h beam rods which are supposedly clearanced for a stroker. I have a stock crank ground 10 under (.003 current bearing clearance but align hone is being done & I don’t know if that will make this clearance larger/out of spec). I am considering getting the scat 9000 4” stroke crank. I have the summit 163318
balancer with removable weights. My questions are as follows

1: has anyone run these rods with a stroker crank?
2: if I get the scat crank will I need to get the assembly balanced? Supposedly the pistons and rods are weight matched from the factory (I would use the summit balancer without the additional weights)
3: given the oil clearance doesn’t increase can I run the stock crank with stock balancer & weighted torque converter setup -skip balancing
4: what would you do for a street engine? (Is it worth spending the extra money for a stroker)

Yes that assembly will need balancing. Also any stroker engines need rod to block clearance checked. Many need clearancing especially strikers with Mopar sized rod journals.

For starters, those pistons are a no-go for a stroker crank- they're for a standard stroke.
A nearly 1/2 inch additional stroke will put those pistons through the head.

For starters, those pistons are a no-go for a stroker crank- they're for a standard stroke.
Ah I didn’t even think of that, thanks for pointing it out!

He needs to talk to one of the piston manufacturers and get the right parts. He has a smorgasbord going on there.

My advice: you've got the parts, build the 360. It's rarely a good idea to change direction mid-project.
If the 360 doesn't make you happy, then at least it gives you a baseline to plan your next upgrade or engine build.

My advice: you've got the parts, build the 360. It's rarely a good idea to change direction mid-project.
If the 360 doesn't make you happy, then at least it gives you a baseline to plan your next upgrade or engine build.
Thanks for the advice, the stroker was just a last minute idea. Going to stay on track for the 360

Thanks for the advice, the stroker was just a last minute idea. Going to stay on track for the 360
Are you doing the assembly? If so I would have a machine shop torque down the rods and do some size checking. That is unless you have experience at doing this.

Are you doing the assembly? If so I would have a machine shop torque down the rods and do some size checking. That is unless you have experience at doing this.
I am doing the final assembly but the machine shop is checking clearances & roundness for me

Hi everyone, I’m in the process of building my first 360 and am debating on making it a 408 stroker. I will be using speed pro h116cp pistons 30 over & speedmaster h beam rods which are supposedly clearanced for a stroker. I have a stock crank ground 10 under (.003 current bearing clearance but align hone is being done & I don’t know if that will make this clearance larger/out of spec). I am considering getting the scat 9000 4” stroke crank. I have the summit 163318
balancer with removable weights. My questions are as follows

1: has anyone run these rods with a stroker crank?
2: if I get the scat crank will I need to get the assembly balanced? Supposedly the pistons and rods are weight matched from the factory (I would use the summit balancer without the additional weights)
3: given the oil clearance doesn’t increase can I run the stock crank with stock balancer & weighted torque converter setup -skip balancing
4: what would you do for a street engine? (Is it worth spending the extra money for a stroker)

Get this book, read it. Make your decisions based on data, not what you think may sound cool.
1709006463366.png

If you ever do a stroker, which is in my opinions, they are a complete Beast on the street. A prebalanced assembly is just 10 times less complicated...

-
Back