stockish 340 maybe a 6 pack good or bad ideal??

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
so i have a 340 in the car now i can tell its been gone thru but dont know any thing about it.
i would say no more then 10 to mild cam stock x heads
hp manifolds elc ing

im wondering if i throw a 6 pack on here what it will do kill the car or make it fly. not sure even if i down jet it if the flow is right some motors just dont run with some set ups

so whats your input

so i have a 340 in the car now i can tell its been gone thru but dont know any thing about it.
i would say no more then 10 to mild cam stock x heads
hp manifolds elc ing

im wondering if i throw a 6 pack on here what it will do kill the car or make it fly. not sure even if i down jet it if the flow is right some motors just dont run with some set ups

so whats your input

well if you really want to know what you got i would pull the heads and cc them, along with cyl sizes, figure out compression, then "degree" cam to find lift and duration for general cam specs... thats the extreme tho...

6 pack = cool, well tuned 4 barrel = fast

lol great way to put it
yea if i was gonna go that far with motor i would just build a alum 406
this is just a cool street driver no racing just cruzing maybe littel stop light burn out but thats it

Don't think there was any real difference between the factory 4 barrel & six pack motors. The heads had the same ports & the blocks were cast with thicker main webs but I think they ran the same cams.

Well, look at it this way…….

The 340 cars that originally came with a 6 pack were around 10:1, with a mild cam (by todays standards) and heads that were the same as a stock "x" head.

So it should work fine. May not be much faster but it will sure look cool.

A six pack will look cool but it won't be any faster but it will be way harder to tune plus the 6 pack set ups are expensive. Put your money elsewhere.

To much $$ for not enough if any gain over a 4 bbl and 3 times as hard to tune. But thats just me.

They do look cool though I will give them that.

multiple carbs can work well.the 6 pack is overpriced IMO.if you can tune a single 4bbl well then you can tune multiple carbs.its not that much more difficult.and a single 4bbl is not always faster than multiple carbs...at least thats the case with my combo.

yea im not going for fast this is just a cruiser i sold the race car to slow down
i just want a good looking car so yea 6 pack has good wow factor but big price tag

In 1962 I had a 348 chev tri-power w/a 4-spd,it had progressive linkage on the carbs, while cruzing it was running on the center carb, move the pedel down and the end two kicked in, man that was cool!, If I remember right it was good on gas while running on the center carb.

don't let anybody tell you six packs don't run. i've went 11's on a bullshit 440 in a b-body street car with one. did some back to back testing with a single plane, had a few different dialed in carbs 780 & 850. the six pack would out 60ft both of them and ET slightly better. plus the gas mileage was better. their the ultimate for a street car, but there not a out of the box deal. they take alot of tinkering to get em dialed in. thats why there not for everybody..

six pack would run just fine on your combo

IMG_8683.jpg

You can always just EFI the thing and get way better preformance out of it. Also if your set on the look of a 6 pak, there is a 6 pak that is EFI

More carburetors are always better than one.....that is IF the person setting them up and tuning them knows what they're doing. a properly jetted and tuned six pack will STOMP a single four barrel every time. The key is getting them flowed in synch. Once set up right, they are awesome. If you see a six pack get beat by a pretty otherwise equal four barrel, the six pack was not up to its full potential.

yea im not going for fast this is just a cruiser i sold the race car to slow down
i just want a good looking car so yea 6 pack has good wow factor but big price tag

hard to beat the wow factor of a tunnel ram.if your up for some cutting and pasting,an eddy street ram with a set of 390 cfm holley is a very streetable/sharp looking combo,and cheaper than a six pac,but i have a somewhat bias opinion on this topic.

hard to beat the wow factor of a tunnel ram.if your up for some cutting and pasting,an eddy street ram with a set of 390 cfm holley is a very streetable/sharp looking combo,and cheaper than a six pac,but i have a somewhat bias opinion on this topic.

X2

Your set up does have the WOW factor going on. Sounds sweet too. Put up a pic so he can check it out. I some how did not get one when we were at Grand:sad10:

if he clicks on the "photos" on my avatar there are some early pictures when it was first set up......however the more i think about the op's original question im not sure my set up would would work as well as a six-pack if the engine has a stock cam.i think a six pack would work really well,its just damn pricy.

-
Back