Stop calling here!

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a telemarketers thread going yet but have to vent. I had a business going that I have closed but they keep f*cking calling! I have to screen all my calls now by letting it go to voice mail. The worst one was a vent cleaning service that spoofed local phone numbers. Telling these fools not to call is an exercise in futility. Grrr..

I'm not sure if there is a telemarketers thread going yet but have to vent. I had a business going that I have closed but they keep f*cking calling! I have to screen all my calls now by letting it go to voice mail. The worst one was a vent cleaning service that spoofed local phone numbers. Telling these fools not to call is an exercise in futility. Grrr..

When local businesses buy robomarketing, I make sure to reflect that fact in my 1-star google, yelp, and facebook reviews.
Lots of modern cellphones have a 'report' button in the phone app that you can use to report numbers to the FCC/FTC. I use it frequently. Occasionally I get bored and will go to the FTC complaint website and go through my call history and report every one of these useless wastes of electrons to them. Within a week it usually results in a significant reduction in spam calls. Takes 3-6 months for them to pick back up.
I do the same for all the spam calls at the office. Takes a lot of time and effort to do all the reporting, but it does pay off. Plus I get satisfaction knowing the FTC/FCC will often pursue fines and penalties against these companies when they begin to rack up repeat complaints. It's a slap on the wrist, but sure beats those random calls that wake me up after lunchtime.

I just noticed you're in Canada. D'oh. I'm not sure what similar resources are available up there. Hopefully there are some.

Tell them to remove you from their call list, in Canada it is law that your information be removed from the caller's list. Unfortunately, lists are frequently sold between marketers so it may take some time for all of the calls to stop. Also, anytime you provide your information for any reason, be it a "free draw" or any other reason, make sure that you add the phrase "no third party marketing". By law, here in Canada your contact information cannot be shared if you add that phrase. This includes ANY time that you are asked for contact information. My wife is very well versed in this subject, having been employed in a parallel industry, has been adamant that I always include that. Even if you don't think it would be shared, add the statement, she had an issue where her information was shared by a company from a warranty claim.
We also block numbers from our phones.

When local businesses buy robomarketing, I make sure to reflect that fact in my 1-star google, yelp, and facebook reviews.

I just noticed you're in Canada. D'oh. I'm not sure what similar resources are available up there. Hopefully there are some.

We have do not call lists but nothing much else AFAIK. The DNC lists are useless as I think you know. The best way for me was to just let it go to voice mail but now they let it ring 3 times before it goes to voicemail. Ringer is off now too. My ISP just says to use the block method which costs extra of course. This is a land line, VOIP.

Tell them to remove you from their call list, in Canada it is law that your information be removed from the caller's list. My wife is very well versed in this subject, having been employed in a parallel industry, has been adamant that I always include that. Even if you don't think it would be shared, add the statement, she had an issue where her information was shared by a company from a warranty claim.
We also block numbers from our phones.

Wow, never knew that. Thank you.

I’ve had a potential spam caller calling me three weeks now, they call three times consecutively within a minute, day after day. And nobody leaves a message…

I’ve got my phone setup so unless the calling number is in my contacts it doesn’t ring…

I set my phone to ring only with numbers that are in my personal directory. All others remain silent and go straight to voicemail. I feel that if it is important they will leave a message. Saves me a lot of brain damage.
Yote

I hear yah! And for me it was only averaging about one call a day.
I gave up my land line for this exact reason; five months now and the phone has not rang once, lol. I don't miss it. Life is good. No cell either.
I realize that if I had a business, I'd have to get another line, but at 69, I don't see myself getting into that any more. .......
My wife (retired) keeps in touch with the kids via facebook etc, and keeps me up to speed.

I hear yah! And for me it was only averaging about one call a day.
I gave up my land line for this exact reason; five months now and the phone has not rang once, lol. I don't miss it. Life is good. No cell either.
I realize that if I had a business, I'd have to get another line, but at 69, I don't see myself getting into that any more. .......
My wife (retired) keeps in touch with the kids via facebook etc, and keeps me up to speed.
Hard to call 911 on a computer.

back when we had a landline, we had moved into new home in a different city
now, they reuse these phone numbers and the one we got must have belonged to someone who didnt like paying his debt
so right from the git-go we were getting phone calls from collectors (this was before number recognition, and auto dialers, these were real people) and the first few times, i was polite, i explained he doesnt live here, i dont know him, and this isnt his number

after a while, my patience ran out and i started formulating a different reply
so now, everytime they called for this guy i would just tell them, "he cant come to the phone right now, hes passed out drunk in the back yard"

this was especially funny at 9 in the morning

well, one day i get a call from some guy looking for Emily, i dont know any Emily and i sure wasnt living with her, so i went into my basic "sure, shes here but she cant come to the phone because she is passed out drunk in the backyard" response and the guy on the other end of the line just went berserk and started yelling at me
YOU LET MY 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER GET DRUNK?

i decided to hang up and he never called me back, so i guess he figured out he dialed a wrong number
i got to wonder though...did Emily get in trouble for this?

Hard to call 911 on a computer.
I keep an old flip phone turned off with the most basic, cheapest service. It's goes with me whenever I leave the house. Another benefit is sometimes if you sign up for text alerts, you can get a nice discount on a purchase. I always give them that number and they can text away.

This week started with 3 calls a day from Arizona. Pisses me off. Some ppl told me to answer the call but don’t say anything, keep quiet. They even say my name. First and last. Kim

Last edited:
They even say my name. First and last. Kim
I have one of those names, that, from how it is spelled, you could never properly pronounce it until you hear it. So back in the day, when I had a phone, I would pick up and not say anything. If the caller couldn't pronounce my name, I just hung up.
Sometimes if I was bored, I would play along until the caller launched into his spiel, and then say "no thanks". Some idiots would go on for 5 or more minutes.
Sometimes I would just lay the phone on the table and go back to whatever I was doing. But if it was one of the kids, I would hear them screaming at me; DAD! It's me, pick up the stinking phone!
At one time, many years ago we had a secret ring; If one of my three kids wanted to talk to me, they would give me a one or a two or a three ringer, and I would call the one to whom the code belonged ..... long distance, and on my dime.
In the end; I couldn't take it any more; peace and quiet, finally.

I keep getting Dun and Bradstreet business loan scam except my phone never rings it just beeps saying I have a voicemail.

Before we got rid of our landline, it never failed that the calls would come right about the time we sat down to eat supper. One night we got a call from "Duct Masters" trying to sell us a cleaning package. I said "Hello" and the girl says "This is so-n-so from Duct Masters, and we would like to talk to you about cleaning your ducts." I said "Honey, I don't have any ducks. I have 12 chickens, 9 guineas, 3 geese, and a black swan that is meaner'n hell" She says "Oh no sir, you may have misunderstood, as we are offering to clean your ducts." I said, " I just told you, I don't have any ducks, but I have 12 chickens, 9 guineas, 3 geese and that mean assed black swan."
We went thru that about 4 times before she gave up! My wife was rolling on the floor laughing, and I couldn't stand it so I hit redial, and she actually answered! I said "Since you don't want to clean my ducks, could you at least come and see if you can help the black swan? Last time I tried to give him a bath, I lost a finger!" She was quiet for a few seconds, and CLICK!

:rofl:

So today I was waiting for a phone call for car parts. A local number called and I picked it up thinking it was them. It ended up being a scammer. lol So back to screening every call.

It was supposedly the government of Canada telling me my Social Insurance number was being investigated for criminal activity and to call a phone number provided.

Here's link to the scam. Social Insurance Number Scam (2020) - Scam Detector

The above link explains in detail other scams as well.

Last edited:
I was talking to a elderly friend and they were trying to scam her.Her dad dies a few years ago and they even said someone was trying to get into her deceased loved ones account.He has no accounts or it could be the politicians fixen to vote for him

-
Back