Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I just heard the greatest quote that fits me since I was young:

"You can't challenge me to do something and then think I won't do it".... :realcrazy:

If it came out of a perfectly working transmission, then maybe I'd use it. BUT yours came out a transmission with unknown problems. Who know what is in there....AND if there is anything in there, it wont react well to your new transmission...Ask me how I know....

How do you know???
huh.gif

Cool...

OK so another rookie question.... the engine will determine the appropriate torque converter for the transmission correct?

The transmission is a 1964 ID number but the engine is a 1981 or so date.

The snout on the converter was smaller for the early transes... I believe 66 and earlier....

Last edited:
So I would need a converter that matches the transmission year but not the engine year as long as it is for a /6

You will need a converter for the early snout diameter, which is 66 and earlier I believe...

The snout register got bigger in 67 and later transes and you can't interchange the converters between the two...

You will need a converter for the early snout diameter, which is 66 and earlier I believe...

The snout register got bigger in 67 and later transes and you can't interchange the converters between the two...

@WV64Signet

Not only that, but the spline count changed in 65 when they went to the column and floor shifted cables trans. He needs a 62-64 converter.

Got it :thankyou:
@WV64Signet

Not only that, but the spline count changed in 65 when they went to the column and floor shifted cables trans. He needs a 62-64 converter.

Thanks Chris...

Just for clarification....regardless if the motor is a 1981 slant 6 I need the 62-64 converter

@WV64Signet

Now that we are on the subject of mid 60's transes... I have a few questions for all of us to piece together....

A) 64 used pushbutton and cable controlled transmissions...

B) 65 used special floor shifter and cable controlled transmissions...

C) 66 was the first year for linkage controlled shift on transmissions...

1) So are the4 cables and internals for the cable actuation in the transmissions interchangeable on 64 and 65 transmissions???

2) Are the 66 transmissions unique from 64 & 65 transmissions because they were no longer cable control, but shifter actuated???

3) Would the rooster comb be different for the 66 trans than from the 64 - 65 transmissions....

4) What year did they change over from the single wire NSS and go with the 3 wire NSS????

5) 66 transes have a different spline count than 64- & 65...

Last edited:

Thanks Chris...

Just for clarification....regardless if the motor is a 1981 slant 6 I need the 62-64 converter
Engine in this case doesn’t matter. Well as long as it’s out of a slant 6 with a pushbutton from 1962-1964. You obviously can’t put a V8 converter in it

Thanks Chris...

Yes, because the converter snout/register goes into the front of the trans - match the converter to the style snout register on the trans year that you are using...

The back side of the converter bolts to the flex plate and measure the bolt circle for the flex plate to make sure it has the proper bolt circle...

I know some flex plate to converter bolt patterns are 10" and some are 11" on the v-8's.... I'm not sure if slants had the two converter to flex plate bolt patterns or just the smaller one.... (I'm not a slant expert...)

Now that we are on the subject of mid 60's transes... I have a few questions for all of us to piece together....

A) 64 used pushbutton and cable controlled transmissions...

B) 65 used special floor shifter and cable controlled transmissions...

C) 66 was the first year for linkage controlled shift on transmissions...

1) So are the4 cables and internals for the cable actuation in the transmissions interchangeable on 64 and 65 transmissions???

2) Are the 66 transmissions unique from 64 & 65 transmissions because they were no longer cable control, but shifter actuated???

3) Would the rooster comb be different for the 66 trans than from the 64 - 65 transmissions....

4) What year did they change over from the single wire NSS and go with the 3 wire NSS????
For question 1: No, the 1965 cables are completely different lengths. Big block ones also use a bell crank linkage. All 1965s ditched the second pump internally as well

For question 2:. 1965 trans went to a slip yoke and ditched the separate parking cable. 1966 was a mixed bag , at least on the big block side. Some got the later, improved input shaft.

for question 3: the rooster combs are unique to 1963-1964 push buttons. 61-62 are unique. 65 has its own.

question 4:not sure but my 64 is a single site NSS and the 63 parts trans I have is also a single wire

-
Back