Stories from the Chrysler assembly plants

-

Wilkes340

Reaction score
I would like to hear stories from people that worked in the plants from 1960 - 1973 from stamping the steel to applying the graphics

Hell, half my ex-wife's family did in Kenosha Wisconsin.

Sorry, they don't talk to me anymore!

My grandpa worked at the Newark assembly during that period. I need to get him to tell me some stories.

This friend of a friend, Gary McD.''s dad worked with Plymouth racing, esp NASCAR, in the 60's,70's. His nickname was "Slash" because he came up with the R/T moniker. I met him once, years ago (late 80's, early 90's). I asked him why my 68 GTS was finished so well, yet my 70 AAR was so very poorly finished. He said, that's Hamtramck for you. He said he wouldn't even go down on the line alone for fear of getting mugged. He said they were all as high as a kite down there smoking pot.

A guy I worked with had worked in a GM assembly plant in the 1970s and had a few stories. He was told they were moving him from one area to the lead section. Mind you he never applied lead before in his life. They show him quickly how to do it and sent him right on the line. He said he put so much lead on roof and other seams the guys in finishing who did the grinding complained it was taking them twice as long to clean up his lead jobs. In a few days they took him off of the lead line and moved to somewhere else. He must have done hundreds of cars with amateur lead work in them. Just goes to show what quality control was back then.

A guy I worked with had worked in a GM assembly plant in the 1970s and had a few stories. He was told they were moving him from one area to the lead section. Mind you he never applied lead before in his life. They show him quickly how to do it and sent him right on the line. He said he put so much lead on roof and other seams the guys in finishing who did the grinding complained it was taking them twice as long to clean up his lead jobs. In a few days they took him off of the lead line and moved to somewhere else. He must have done hundreds of cars with amateur lead work in them. Just goes to show what quality control was back then.
And that, lady’s and gentlemen, it’s how the sub model “heavy Chevy” was born.
:lol:

-
Back