Storm

-

pt70

Reaction score
A storm is located near Yucatan Mexico. NOAA says it's headed north next week into the panhandle of Florida. The Gulf is very warm right now. [over 86 degrees]. Good luck to the people down there.

The latest reports say the storm will turn into a hurricane shortly, and increase into a cat 3 by the time it hits Florida. Somewhere between the panhandle and Tampa. Many homes will lose power. It's going to get real ugly in places, so NOW is the time to get ready. If I lived along the coast, I might just move inland for a few days.

I think all we will get in middle Georgia is some welcomed rain and maybe a little wind. I pray for those in its path before us.

Only 24 hours left for the news to scare the **** out of people and drive up Home Depot stock!

Hurricane as of this morning.
Tracking more to the North of being a heavy threat to me, but anything can happen.
Lines at the gas pumps yesterday afternoon.
Had 3/4 tank, but a spot opened up right as I drove by so I took it.
Moderate lines for bottled water and 2 per customer rationing in place.

I saw what some of our members went thru last year, FN brutal. They dont deserve this...strength and positive thoughts....lol at the comment about driving up HD stock...SMH :BangHead:

Last edited:
Only positive thing is at least it is not a cat. 4 or 5 tornada where the guy in its path tells himself to just bend over and kiss his *** goodby.

Prayers to those in harms way.

Supposed to get to cat 3 before landfall.

I retired in April, so this is the first time since the year 2000 that I won't have to pack all my cloths and head to FL to help get the power back on. I hope all of y'all in the path fare well, but I won't miss having to fool with the people from FL part of the company I retired from. They make it much more difficult than it has to be to get the power back on. :BangHead:

I retired in April, so this is the first time since the year 2000 that I won't have to pack all my cloths and head to FL to help get the power back on. I hope all of y'all in the path fare well, but I won't miss having to fool with the people from FL part of the company I retired from. They make it much more difficult than it has to be to get the power back on. :BangHead:

Really?

Care to explain that?

By "people from FL" I assume you mean either the local power companies, the PUC (or whatever FL calls the utility commission) or the government.

You would think they would want to expedite service restoration, and be cooperative and thankful.

The particular power company people (Dook) that I worked for only. They always felt the need to make it an Us vs Them thing with those of us from the Carolinas who came to help. The customers anywhere we worked were always awesome, and the kind of people who make it worth being away from home.

Im on the East coast of central FL working Kennedy Space Center and they are calling for Storm surge and some unpredictable tornados. Should be some well needed rain for some but I know there is alot of folks saturated already and its gunna be a wet one.

I used to like them back when they were Florida Power.
Although they were known to be a bit "hot" and you needed to make sure you were using "130 volt" bulbs or you'd lose them a lot more frequently.
I didn't believe that until I saw it with my own eyes- both 126v on a meter and both 130 and 120v rated bulbs.

There's been a lot of negativity associated with Duke since then including the largest percentage rate hike approved for their customers among all FL providers. Something like 17%.

I'm a Tampa Electric customer (even though I don't live in Tampa) and our increase was 4%.

We certainly appreciate all those that come from out of state to help.

I give a big thumbs up when I can, whenever I see OOS electric workers or brush trucks.

I believe those of us below the predicted landfall area are on the "wind" side of the storm.

I worked for CP&L, which merged with FPC in 2000 and then we both turned into Progress Energy. Things went off the cliff when Dook bought us out in 2012. It was a looooooooong 11 years until I could retire!

Best of luck to all of you in the path. Idalia is supposed to go right across our little Tin Condo in the campground in Myrtle Beach on Thursday, but it should be much diminished by then.

Idalia recently turned into a category 3 hurricane and is gaining strength. Landfall in a few hours. HELL is coming to breakfast for those poor people down there in Florida. And Georgia is next. Be safe. {3AM.}

Yeah, it's not made the easterly turn they had forecasted earlier, so now it's moved the watches only one county away from us. We're forecasted to get 60-65 MPH winds and lots of rain now.

Its expected to hit in the next couple hours, landfall that is

IMG_3101.gif

The forecasters really missed the mark on this one they prepped the state from Tampa north and the storm goes into the panhandle instead, but you watch the news this morning and they show you pictures of the coastal area's which flood at even the mention of a storm. Such a waste of time and money, as usual the media plays it up to the max.

New eyewall formed just before landfall and briefly got to cat 4.

Storm surge is a big deal because of elevated sea level due to "super moon" plus the storm approached the coast right after high tide and then did not allow low tide to occur and another high tide is coming.

Some places that normally don't get surge have had to be emergency evacuated/rescued.

A couple reporters just North and West of Tampa saw 5 to 6 feet rise in about an hour.

One is showing 10 feet right now in Cedar Key.

Hurricane warning for Valdosta Georgia. That doesn't happen too often.

We're getting the back side bands and are currently in a tornado warning.

...but don't have the usual back yard pooling........yet.

I will respectfully disagree with the post above.
If you were paying attention to local news, they adjusted the track pretty well and it pretty much went where they said. Storm surge estimates I saw before going to bed turned out to be accurate as of this morning.

Currently 110 MPH cat 2 just outside Valdosta.

-
Back