straight axle look

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
I would like the early drag look without the straight axle. Saw an article from '64 on the very first hemi under glass and they mentioned that the front torsion bars were raised. Has anyone any experience with this method,how much height you can go, problems ect. I don't need to go as high as a straight axle, just enough to get that early look. Car is a '64 cuda. Pete

I guess it would be OK if you maxed them out but then have it aligned but to me the ride would be pretty rough.

You just missed a set of lift block's for an A-body, Cal Custom made them in the late 60's early 70's. But I think you should go with a strait axle man come on join the club!!!! If your really crafty I once saw a guy (and yes I kick myself for not having a camera) that made lift blocks on the suspension like a jeep would have, he welded tortion bar mounts under the factory ones and raised the body off the K-frame with lift blocks. It looked like a ton of work but it was different.

Like this?

Altered dart.jpg

just pull the engine out. that should give you the stance you are looking for. :-D hehe.... i like the way mine looks with the engine out. so when i get it back in i was thinking of cranking down the torsion bars to see if i can get it to that height.

You just missed a set of lift block's for an A-body, Cal Custom made them in the late 60's early 70's. But I think you should go with a strait axle man come on join the club!!!! If your really crafty I once saw a guy (and yes I kick myself for not having a camera) that made lift blocks on the suspension like a jeep would have, he welded tortion bar mounts under the factory ones and raised the body off the K-frame with lift blocks. It looked like a ton of work but it was different.

Yep, those were mine, sold them a month or two ago. They were 'ball joint' lifts, and get installed between the upper control arm and the top of the spindle. See this thread: (ignore the negative comment drama)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49927

Here's a pic I posted in that thread to give an idea of what they are like installed:

096large+1955_chevrolet_210_sedan+front_left_view.jpg

I done that back in the early 80's to a 1974 Duster. Its easy any front end shop can twist the torsions and realign the front end. And let them do it all. The torsions must be turned exact or the car will lean to one side. In fact I have a dart that I am thinking about doing the same thing with now. If you want to talk to me give me a call 205-792-7276.

Thanks for the response! On your 74, what was the height that you got,i.e. an extra 1/2" or more and what was the ride/handleing like. I was hoping more people would have had some thoughts on this method to include any negatives to the actual bars and what bar rating would work best if this was an acceptable way of raising the front. Sure, I would like to have a legit gasser look with the straight axle and all but both budget and welding skills prevent me from going this route. I'm not racing this car, just cruising with the kids and trying to recapture my life the last time I had a toy...1983,just home from the Army and bought a 1968 Formula S 340 4 speed from the original owner, all original. Sold that fall to go to college (or move out!). PS> never finished college...retired NYPD!

1/2 is nothing. I got around 3". The only difference I noticed was It didnt corner as well. Front end lined up fine. This is the same frontend on all Chevy 4x4's now. Of course the higher you go the more ride quaility you lose. I think I finally settled on 2" and was completely satisified with the car. You can play with the torsions your self to see how much lift you like and drive the car, then take it the front end shop and have them set and realign the car. I know exactly what you mean about the straight axle I would love that too. Because It creates plenty of room for a deep sump oil pan and fender well headers. But cost is a factor for me too. Any other questions just hit me up man. Good Luck.

Hey, I just found my car on this site, it belonged to 684mulas. I bought it from him this past August. Go to his page and click on the 64 Barracuda

I aint too hot on a computer can you tell me how to get there.

I couldn't tell you, cause I also don't have a clue about the computer. I was reading another thread as they say and recognized his 68 FS. His tag was the one I posted. Maybe someone else could direct us. It just took me 15 minutes to write this!

I was on the west side, really don't know the east. Left in '97

Guys back in the mid to late sixtys here in Columbus just cranked
up the torsion bars. I'm not even sure if they got them re-ligned
as when they went around a corner the tires had a wierd angle.

It did look good at the time.

Here's an old school look from a car show a few months back

2008 Bill Luke Mopar Show 010.jpg

I love that stance, what kind of straight front end do you use...out of what???? and what steering box set up,...stock or???????Just curiouse

I love that stance, what kind of straight front end do you use...out of what???? and what steering box set up,...stock or???????Just curiouse

I dont know for sure, but I was told that an A-100 axle and leafs work well.By the way,the pic of me and the duster in my aviator...I just ran the bars up.

Bubba

If you're asking me....not my car....pic from a car show. LOL

I had to jack mine up on my 69 for tire clearence.
With only having /6 torsion bars i had about 6 inches or so total hight to play with. Thats with a 440 on /6 torsion bars... Bigger bars are going to allow alot more. I maxed them out alot and they gave me a good look real high stance if it was an earlyer car i would have left it.
But i would use the biggest torsion bars possible and jack them out about 3/4 up or more and let it ride.
The problem is maxed out the ride is stiff. expecially with smaller torsion bars and alot of motor. And the other downside is maxed out you dont get much travel up on launch so the weight transfer isnt great....
I think if i just wanted easy and cheap i would go with big torsion bars jacked upp. Allingment is hard too. What i did is go to my tire shop and i put it on the allignement machine and went *** high as i could with being able to allign it because if you jack them up tooo much you cant allign it anymore. Tubualar a-arms you can get more adjustment too.
Straight axle is easy too if you wanted... alot of people used a-100 van axles and shorten them.
Good luck

With some slight tweaking, you can get a great ride with a straight axle. I actually used two different sets of A-100 front leaf springs, combining to make a comfortable ride, with good compression for future wheelies. This is also how I did Magnante's Rampage Dart. With added weight up front, you need to compensate.
IMG_4603-vi.jpg

With some slight tweaking, you can get a great ride with a straight axle. I actually used two different sets of A-100 front leaf springs, combining to make a comfortable ride, with good compression for future wheelies. This is also how I did Magnante's Rampage Dart. With added weight up front, you need to compensate.
IMG_4603-vi.jpg

Are you going to have your car at Springfling?

What brand scoop (dimensions) is on that dart, this is what I want on my cuda. There seems to be different sizes from different manufactures.Also, thanks to all for your info, knowledge is power! Great site for one with many things to ponder! Pete

-
Back