STRANGE axel twisted?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,ll be calling them in the morning,I need to get a replacement one and will ask about warranty,but think I,m beat.Race parts usually aren,t warrantied.We,ll see?

yea i hear ya... but no offense... your running a small block in the 10's... those axles should hold a lot more than that...

35's and a spool right?

Did you buy race axles or street axles? They through harden the race axles, but do not recommend them for street-driven cars. Street axles are case hardened.

These are race axels,but with 30 spline.They were custom made 25 inches for a narrowed 8 3/4, 46 inches flange to flange.I first had a 3.91 geared .489 before going 4.30 spool.

........Hey Scott..........I've talked to Strange, Moser, and Dr. Diff.....i was conserned about my 30 spline spool.....Cass told me the weak link is the 30 spline axles..............u need to go to 35 or 40 for race applications........kim........

........Hey Scott..........I've talked to Strange, Moser, and Dr. Diff.....i was conserned about my 30 spline spool.....Cass told me the weak link is the 30 spline axles..............u need to go to 35 or 40 for race applications........kim........
Hey kimmer.......all I know is that this sucks!Guess I,ll be on the hunt for a Dana now.:angry2:

Wow, that sucks. I wouldn't expect to see that out of a lightweight car like yours. Maybe in a huge land yacht running with a lot of low rpm torque. I'd call them up and before I even said the word warranty I would ask what they should be expected to handle.

That`s a bummer but honestly I`m impressed. You must be putting a lot of power to the pavement to twist an axle like that. I hope Strange gets you fixed up.

............I bought a duster that has strange axles in it with clutch type sure grip........i asked Cass and he said the axles will not handle what the spool will.......kim...

Strange axles are low quality I really believe. My friend bought a set and ran them for a short period time before snapping one right where yours twisted. He called Strange and they basically told him he hadn't had them installed long.... must of been a defect. They told him to take a hike. Maybe you will come out better.

Hey kimmer.......all I know is that this sucks!Guess I,ll be on the hunt for a Dana now.:angry2:

Just in case you don't know, 35 spline axles for a Dana 60 are the same as 35 spline axles for an 8 3/4, just different lengths, as needed. However, 35 spline is much stronger than 30 spline. I believe Moser may have a comparison of spline counts and strengths on their site. Stepping up to a 35 spline 8 3/4 will make the ring gear the next weak link. Set-up is important.

I broke a Strange 35 spline axle on my 360/W-2 Challenger footbraking @ 2,800 lbs running as fast as 10.22. But that was after about 10 years and thousands of runs. I have Moser 35 spline race axles in my Dart Sport running mid-11's footbraking @ 3,540+ lbs for at least 8 years with no issues.

Eventually, anything will break.

Thanks for the tip Locamotion.For now I will replace the axel,to get me going(cars getting body/paint).I will have to look into the 35 splined axels and spool in the near future.Moneys tight at the moment.:sad4:

P.S Setup was done by a respected trans/rear builder.

running 10's with 30 splines is not if, but when they will twist

You know alot of what twists axles is hard turning with a spool (especially with sticky tires)and not the launches .I have a spool in my Dart race car with a 35 spline mosier spool and axles and i make 3 point turns out of habit when they are sharp .Lesson learned from driving other cars with spools on the street .I broke many axles in 9 inchers in streetrods just daily driving with a spool till ifigured out what i was doing wrong.Its the drivers side that will usually break or twist with a spool and sharp turns .BTW i pull the axles out of my 8.75 in the Dodge once a season to look and they still look new ...

Wow,something I havent seen for a while! Better just upgrade the axles if your gona keep that 8 3/4. Lots of dana's in ferd trucks..

Well after seeing your pics I just ordered a set of 35 spline Moser axles for my Dart Sport, even though I have a 30 spline spool in it now, I'll just get a 35 spline spool to match. I'd hate to have an issue down the road trying to save a few bucks. Good luck, hopfully Strange will help you out. O:)

Strange axles are low quality I really believe. My friend bought a set and ran them for a short period time before snapping one right where yours twisted. He called Strange and they basically told him he hadn't had them installed long.... must of been a defect. They told him to take a hike. Maybe you will come out better.

35 spline?

seeing your in Canada did you buy strange USA or are they from bears? i know bears sells junk.

if they squawk let them know (nicely) that your going to post the pics on every site you can find. i have had really good luck with mosers.

i agree tell then the internet is a powerful tool,,,

i had a set of dutchman axels do that with street tires,, only used dutchman at the time because for a period of time strange stopped doing every thing except dana or 9 inch,,,and moser was really getting a bad rap at that time,,,

ide go with moser if i ever needed a new set,,,or mark willams ching ching,,

You know alot of what twists axles is hard turning with a spool (especially with sticky tires)and not the launches .I have a spool in my Dart race car with a 35 spline mosier spool and axles and i make 3 point turns out of habit when they are sharp .Lesson learned from driving other cars with spools on the street .I broke many axles in 9 inchers in streetrods just daily driving with a spool till ifigured out what i was doing wrong.Its the drivers side that will usually break or twist with a spool and sharp turns .BTW i pull the axles out of my 8.75 in the Dodge once a season to look and they still look new ...
I read up lots on the spools before I went ahead and purchased.I drive this car at the track like I,m hauling a trailer.LOL.Lots of wide turns and 3 pointers.Sometimes 4 pointers in tight spots LOl.:toothy10:

I would just skip the 35s and go 40 all the way. No sense in takin chances. You know with the 40s, the axles won't be the week link then.

Back in the day all 30 spline axles would show a bit of twist and then stop...
Pretty much every every pumpkin I put a new gear set in had a set of aftermarket axles with the splines (30's) showing some twist.And I've put a lot of gear set's in back then.

-
Back