STRANGE axel twisted?

-
Back in the day all 30 spline axles would show a bit of twist and then stop...
Pretty much every every pumpkin I put a new gear set in had a set of aftermarket axles with the splines (30's) showing some twist.And I've put a lot of gear set's in back then.
Twist then stop?I,m not taking the chance of one snapping while leaving the line.I,ve got way too much work and $$$ to be kissing the wall/crashing.It,s still good to know I,m not the only one.I have found a Dana complete locally,I,m thinking on buying for future project.Complete with brakes,axels,center with 4.10,s.It,s 50inches flange to flange which is fine for me.

StrokerScamp,maybe the 40 spline would give me piece of mind.There will always be something else to break.Gears,U-joints,d.shaft...etc...etc..:read2:

I don't know anyone making a 40 spline 8.75 spool

40 Spline also requires a different bearing/housing end IIRC.

Twist then stop?I,m not taking the chance of one snapping while leaving the line.I,ve got way too much work and $$$ to be kissing the wall/crashing.It,s still good to know I,m not the only one.I have found a Dana complete locally,I,m thinking on buying for future project.Complete with brakes,axels,center with 4.10,s.It,s 50inches flange to flange which is fine for me.

StrokerScamp,maybe the 40 spline would give me piece of mind.There will always be something else to break.Gears,U-joints,d.shaft...etc...etc..:read2:

Hey Scott;you hasome kind of problem at the track this year when your diff came out? I dont recall exactly what happened,only Im thinking that is when this occurred. MUST HAVE BEEN A HARD LAUNCH!

40 spline would give you piece of mind but come on 40 spline is way overkill.

If you step up to a 35 spline Dana then you are good to go. I have been told that mid to high 10's is the limit for the 8 3/4. I was going to run mid 10's so I made the call and stepped up to a Dana,anyway pick up that Dana and piece it together

I know alot of chevy guys running mid 10's on 30 spline GN rearends. That just goes to show you that Mopars but out WAY more torq than Chevy/Ford. I guess 11 sec is the limit for the stock 30 spline axles.

I got my 35 spline Moser Axles today, along with my 35 spline Auburn Spool. I think I'm going to order one of those weld on back braces from Mancinni Racing, just to make sure I don't have any rear end problems!8)
2s6soz6.jpg

The way I understand it, it is best to have the rear jigged-up and checked for straightness after the brace is welded on. Anytime anything is welded on a rear end housing, there is a chance of it "moving".

man this makes me want to pull my moser axles and see if they are 30 or 35 and if they are twisted any...good you got it before something bad really happened

The way I understand it, it is best to have the rear jigged-up and checked for straightness after the brace is welded on. Anytime anything is welded on a rear end housing, there is a chance of it "moving".

My neighbor across the street owns a local welding/chassis shop and he has a jig made for a A-body 8 3/4". He said he will do it for $20 & a six pack!!!

My neighbor across the street owns a local welding/chassis shop and he has a jig made for a A-body 8 3/4". He said he will do it for $20 & a six pack!!!

Just a little less than 500 miles from me! Maybe I should buy a six pack, drive up, & have him do mine! :toothy8:

I,m still waiting on my replacement axel from Strange(narrowed rear is useless with 1 bad axel)so I figured replace til I either get 35 splined axels and spool..or A member has offered a Dana(50 inches)with 4.10,s,axels,brakes,studs.Just waiting for him to pick it up.

Scott, few years ago when i was putting my duster together, most of the guys around me were using strange stuff. I good friend of mine with a heavey nitros feed big block chevelle, twisted his axle like yours, he called strange they told him "that was normal" and it should not twist anymore and if it goes past a certain limit (2 spines twist if i rember right) then change it, He raced the car for years 3700lbs chevelle on the rear bumper many times. I myself thought it was CRAP , so i put 30 spine moser stuff in mine, 5 years of 4 speed and now the 416 auto deal for the last 7 years and the axles have never twisted on me. 10.31@130 .

Hey Harry,this twisting then stopping has me worried.I just don,t want to take the chance of breakage and hitting the wall(god forbid).so will just replace til I figure something out.

Scott, I have 30 spline Moser alloy race axles. They have lasted through a set of 3.73 with a powerlock,( blew the powerlock) 3.91 with powerlock( striped all the gear teeth off),3.91 with a spool(still good) in the 83/4. Now they are in the dana 60, the axles are 8 years old with no twisting or flaws, and that is with 8 years of dumping a clutch at 5000+ rpm and 1.5 60 foot times. I was always told not to worry till they twist one complete spline.

Scott i dont blame you, thats why i never went with the strange stuff, I really think the moser 30 spine stuff is stronger, for the price of a set of axles vs hitting the wall (god forbid), i would be replacing them also.

I have Moser,s in my 73 Dart Sport,4 speed with a 450hp 372c.i.I,ve never had a problem with them with popping the clutch on launches.I,m wondering if STRAGE has been using a cheaper metal??I,ve always heard good things about STRANGE products.Ah well,lesson learned.

19Dart66,I have a feeling the gears will be the next to go.Fingers crossed.:happy8:

Big difference when running high 10's with your race car vs high 12's with your dart sport.

Big difference when running high 10's with your race car vs high 12's with your dart sport.

I leave the line at 2000rpm in the 66 Dart vs 3500-4000rpm launches with the 73,4 speed.There,s a torque difference of about 70ftlbs.I think it,s the metal used myself.I could be wrong though.:-?

Buddy of mine did the same thing last summer with his 550 HP 408 in a 4 speed duster. Replaced the axle just to snap the next one. 3rd time around he broke the pinion rite off the rearend. Alot of wasted money later he is swaping to a Dana 60. To much tourque and slamming of the gears for the 8 3/4.

Getting a DANA is in the works,but will have to change rims and tires or have it worked(narrowed more)My 8 3/4 is 46 5/8 inches flange to flange and this Dana is 50 inches.It,s always something!Sheesh!:error:

You only leave the line at 2000 rpm in the 66, and you twisted the axle, i say cheap metal also, when my car was a340, 4 speed i lunched at 3800-4200 with the 340,auto and trans brake 4400, with the 416 deal , i foot brake it,(trans brake leaves to hard with super stocks springs) and still i leave above 3500 rpm.

You only leave the line at 2000 rpm in the 66, and you twisted the axle, i say cheap metal also, when my car was a340, 4 speed i lunched at 3800-4200 with the 340,auto and trans brake 4400, with the 416 deal , i foot brake it,(trans brake leaves to hard with super stocks springs) and still i leave above 3500 rpm.
I had little dinky 14,s on the front(for clearing fenderwell hedders)if I tried to leave at a higher RPM it would push me through the beams.I,ve changed some things for this season.
View attachment New 24 foot Enclosed trailer Oct.2010 046.jpg

Yup cheap crap metal. Are strange axles made in chinko? If so this is a classic example of we dont get what we pay for anymore. Companies offshored all the labour,yet the pricing does not reflect this,only thier profits.

Sorry Scott.Rant off..

I believe there made in the good ole, U.S of A.I could be wrong?Still,Strange told me 2 1/2 weeks to get a replacement axel.I hope it gets here before thur. cause I,m going to work on the car(over an hour away).I could always jam the old one back in to get it rolling.:sign7:

Even if the label says made in USA it may not be. All they need do is get raw axles from china and finish machine them here to call it made in the USA.

-
Back