strange dart

-
It is strange.* It has a 70 rear end as well.* The R could be a typo and is not suposed to be there.* But then the 2 as the (6th #) Would make it a 72?* I don't know.* It looks like a 70 but could be a 72 that has been made to look like a 70.

Its a race car so who knows what up with it. It also had 70-72 doors on it.

It is strange.* It has a 70 rear end as well.* The R could be a typo and is not suposed to be there.* But then the 2 as the (6th #) Would make it a 72?* I don't know.* It looks like a 70 but could be a 72 that has been made to look like a 70.

Thank you I was going to say that but I forgot. yha its kind of a mutt.

It could easily be a 73. The only things he has changed are the front sheetmetal and rear bumper It has 72 fenders i think cause it has the fender extentions (I think I see them anyway) and it has the 72 up marker lights all the way around and if I'm not mistaken 73 still had the same bumper as the 71-72 so all you have to do is get the bumper off a 70 dart or 70-73 valiant/scamp. I dont know what to think about the vin stuff though Either way looks like a nice fun car but the price keeps me out of the running for buying it.

im turning my 73 dart into a 71,its just front sheetmetal change,dash,and doors swap,all of wich i have extras of.It still will be titled a 73 though,i just think the 70-71s look better.the rear didnt change until 74,by the way.

i just think the 70-71s look better.the rear didnt change until 74,by the way.[/quote]

A 70 dart had two tail lights and a 71 on out had four.

i just think the 70-71s look better.the rear didnt change until 74,by the way.

A 70 dart had two tail lights and a 71 on out had four.[/quote]

I think toby just means the sheetmetal the bumper can be easily changed but in 74 they changed the whole rearend treatment the taillights were built into the sheetmetal and the bumper had no lights in it similar to a duster. But your right the bumper is different in 70 where the 71-73 share the same design with 4 lights but the jack holes and bumper guards were different I believe.

Ok, I see what he ment now. Sorry toby, I was not trying to knock you at all. It would be EZ to change bumpers out.

Well that is just the thing. It is hard to know what a 35 to 40 year old car has gone through in its life.

valiants and scamps used the '70 dart rear bumper until '73 I believe. I couldn't see any dodge emblem on the front fenders so I can't tell if they are '71 or '72. I think it looks good, like someone took some of the best stuff from each year, but I like the '71-mid '74 dart rear bumper better.

It's hard to say exactly what it started as, but it looks to be a really fun Frankendart.

Maybe the extra 'R' is a jacked-up code for pRototype. It could be that the ultrarare and elusive slant-6 R/T has emerged and is wearing a clever disguise. ;-)

I couldn't see any dodge emblem on the front fenders so I can't tell if they are '71 or '72. I think it looks good, like someone took some of the best stuff from each year, but I like the '71-mid '74 dart rear bumper better.

They are definently 72 fenders if they have the fender extentions you can tell by the side marker lights. The 71 marker lights are recessed into the fender where the 72 marker lights protrude from the fenders like the dart in the e bay add. BTW did they use the bumper with the lights into 74 all the 74's ive seen had the taillights in the sheetmetal and a blank bumper I was just wondering if that is the case or what. Justin

They are definently 72 fenders if they have the fender extentions you can tell by the side marker lights. The 71 marker lights are recessed into the fender where the 72 marker lights protrude from the fenders like the dart in the e bay add. BTW did they use the bumper with the lights into 74 all the 74's ive seen had the taillights in the sheetmetal and a blank bumper I was just wondering if that is the case or what. Justin
Good points I forgot about the lights, in the fenders. Now that I look at some pics, I think you are also correct on the bumper.

My guess is it's a 72, the guy typo'ed the R into the VIN twice. It looks like a 72 to me. It has the small gauge window in the dash frame ala 72-up, it has 72 looking door panels and the 70-72 doors. It has 72 Fenders, generic marker lights like a 72. The 70-71 grill is easier to find used since the 72 is a one year only grill, that might explain that part. Well, that's my guess anyway.

-
Back