Street Demon or Edelbrock AVS2 or ?

-

Magnum87

Reaction score
I have a bone stock 5.9 Magnum I’m putting in a 87 Dakota. I need to get a carb. The tranny is a NV3500 stick. I plan on running either 3.55 gears or 3.90 gears. Stock Chrysler electronic ignition. Either headers or magnum manifolds for the exhaust. The intake is a Air Gap clone. What would be a good carb for this set up? I’m looking at either a Street Demon 625 or a Edelbrock AVS2 650. Also open to running something else but these 2 carbs should be plenty for my set up I think. I don’t have a carb so I have to buy one. Just wanting some opinions before I get one. Thanks

Your choice. I like the Edelbrock carbs. They seem easy to tune but it has been decades since I messed with a Holley.

I have the Street Demon on my Ford truck and it runs fantastic. It's the 625.

Your choice. I like the Edelbrock carbs. They seem easy to tune but it has been decades since I messed with a Holley.
The street Damon runs almost exactly on the Edelbrock theory and actually has some of the same Parts it's not like the old Holly or the regular Holley carburetor..

The street Damon runs almost exactly on the Edelbrock theory and actually has some of the same Parts it's not like the old Holly or the regular Holley carburetor..

It's actually MUCH closer to a Thermoquad.

They both incorporate metering rods, and both have an adjustable secondary door spring as well. They are similar in that aspect.

Neither.get yourself a Holley 600 pretty basic carb. for your set-up..

It's actually MUCH closer to a Thermoquad.
I took two Edelbrocks off my dual quad setup and put to Street demons on... I've been inside the street demons several times getting the calibration correctly and they are almost identical inside. Both using metering rods and primary jets that are stand-alone to the street demon as in they don't have as many options as an Edelbrock. The Edelbrock / Carter has been around for all these years and has 50 different sets of metering rods and infinite amounts of primary Jets. Where the Holley Street Demon has about eight or nine sets of metering rods and 6 or 7 primary Jets in total.. and there are specific to the street demon.
Street Demon does use Holley secondary Jets so the secondary can be anything you want it to be. The difference between Edelbrock and the Holley Street Demon in the secondary door is merely the battle Brock is permanently weighed and the Holley Street Demon has a spring-loaded secondary that's the only part that's like a thermoquad for the most part. Dual quad setup this creates a crap ton of challenges what's a normal guy wouldn't see just putting one on his car...

Ahhh, right you are. I saw Holley and thought metering blocks and power valves. :BangHead:

I took two Edelbrocks off my dual quad setup and put to Street demons on... I've been inside the street demons several times getting the calibration correctly and they are almost identical inside. Both using metering rods and primary jets that are stand-alone to the street demon as in they don't have as many options as an Edelbrock. The Edelbrock / Carter has been around for all these years and has 50 different sets of metering rods and infinite amounts of primary Jets. Where the Holley Street Demon has about eight or nine sets of metering rods and 6 or 7 primary Jets in total.. and there are specific to the street demon.
Street Demon does use Holley secondary Jets so the secondary can be anything you want it to be. The difference between Edelbrock and the Holley Street Demon in the secondary door is merely the battle Brock is permanently weighed and the Holley Street Demon has a spring-loaded secondary that's the only part that's like a thermoquad for the most part. Dual quad setup this creates a crap ton of challenges what's a normal guy wouldn't see just putting one on his car...

The Eddys are an AFB style. The street Demon is a Thermoquad style. The difference is the secondary air door. The air door on the Eddy AFB is under the boosters. The air door on the Thermoquad and Street Demon is above the boosters. That's a huge difference. The Street Demon was designed right off the Thermoquad. They even look very similar.

Either will work great, I have a 750 Street Demon on my Duster and it's the best street carb I've had (previous was a Carter AFB 625 cfm). The main advantage I'd see with the Demon over the Edelbrock is the "plastic" body; mine has that and it works, rarely have fuel percolation issues even in the hottest weather running regular E10 pump gas. I am running it on an RPM (non-Air Gap) intake with no exhaust crossover (Eddy aluminum heads) and a 1/2" wood fiber spacer.

The Edelbrock is nice because tuning parts are all over the place, like others said metering rods and primary jets for the Street Demon are specific to that carb and there aren't a ton of options out there since it's only been out less than a decade. Also doesn't the AVS version of the Edelbrock have an adjustable spring-loaded air door as well? I thought it was only the Performer/AFB versions with the non-adjustable weighted secondary air door. Not that I'd imagine you'd have to mess with it very much in an application like yours with a stock engine although with the manual trans you might want the door to open a bit quicker than they are set up OOTB.

So to recap... Street Demon has the insulating main body available, Edelbrock is easier/cheaper to get tuning parts for. Both have special boosters on the primaries for better off-idle response. Not a whole lot of difference in how they run from what I can tell.

Had the 750 Street Demon w/composite body on a 410 that was under a doghouse engine cover so it was subjected to more extreme heat than the typical car engine bay. Never any fuel percolation/boiling/vapor lock etc issues driving it in stop and go, or after shutdown for periods and restarting. Ever. Works great. Being used on another car now. Also have the AVS2 625 on a 90 W-150 w/318. It too works great but after shutdown and restarts after a while has the typical delay in wanting to fire. It is mounted on the Edelbrock wood spacer to help with heat soak. But you still have to slowly press down on the throttle while cranking before it starts. Then you have to clean it out by giving a few revs and then it’s fine. Bought it for cheap so...Of the two the composite Street Demon wins out

I was going to ask if it was designed like the Thermoquad or Q jet with the large secondaries. Well, it doesn't but it is more like the old Holley 3 barrels. Interesting design and the model with the plastic bowl section will keep the fuel cooler like @12many just mentioned above.

I have had real good luck with the 625 street demons, they are a nice carb for the money.

I’m going to go with the Street Demon. Thanks everyone for your help
Let us know how it works out for you? Or if you need any help. Remember I got two LOL..
If you have to adjust the rear are door with a 7/16 wrench and a small flat screwdriver just be very careful with tightening and untightening that 7/16 not it's very prone to breaking so you really don't need to over tighten it by any means.. it's the worst thing I've heard happening to people....
IMG_20200315_102607.jpg

-
Back