Street Demon tuning experience

-

NukeBass

Reaction score
I recently nearly tuned my 625 CFM Street Demon and figured I'd share my experience. I bought this carburetor in 2015 and only recently spent the time to tune it. Lots of delays between then and now that are probably stories in themselves (and lots of helpful info from the forum) and I'm finally confident enough in the car to believe it will actually crank and run at least somewhat reliably to make tuning the carburetor worth the effort.

The car is a 73 Duster with a 340 and a small camshaft. The engine was built with a bigger camshaft, that I didn't like, and this one was recommended by Crower for a smooth idle daily driver type engine. It is a 206/212 at 0.05" (similar to the comp cams XE250, from what I can tell) that pulls 20 in Hg vacuum at a smooth idle. This plays into my tuning experience later.

20230701_143818.jpg

I first tried tuning this a few years ago and couldn't get a reliable AFR reading, but at the time I reduced the stock Street Demon primary jetting from the 80 jet to the 76 jet and reduced the secondary jetting to 78. I don't remember what I used for the metering rods at the time. When I tested it more recently, the carburetor was still rich (in the single digits) so I took it apart to reduce the jet size more.

These carburetors were not designed for convenient tuning. If you want to change the metering rods, you can open the caps from the top, but you can't remove one of the rods because it is placed squarely under the choke arm. You have to remove the e-clip and lift that choke arm out of the way to get the rod out. I estimate I have about 10 e-clips somewhere in the engine bay or on the garage floor by now. The tuning kit only comes with 2...
20230625_154710.jpg

To change jets you have to remove the top of the carburetor, which requires removal of 8 screws. Two on top and six on the bottom.
20230625_155023.jpg

20230625_155118.jpg

Aside from having to remove the carburetor to get to the six bottom screws, it's fun trying to juggle it and not spill all the gas out. I did eventually figure out I could put it on my carburetor stand and slide enough of it off the table to access one screw at a time and minimize spillage. The only thing I can figure is the designers wanted a smoother top and put the screw heads on the bottom. This process would be much easier if they were on the top.

The jets are attached to the top of the carburetor. The primary jets, the larger looking jets in the picture below, are Street Demon specific and aren't interchangeable with the standard Holley jets that are used for the secondary jets (the smaller jets in the picture). The threads are different. The Street Demon jets are shaped to fit a wrench, which I think is a good idea since I tend to strip out flat screw driver slots.
20230625_155702.jpg

The black tube in the picture is for the accelerator pump (bottom left). I've seen where people have had troubles with this tube and replaced it with weed eater gas line, but I haven't had any issues with this tube coming off or becoming brittle yet.

The float setting is a little odd, too. It's something like 1.01" from some arbitrary point on the body to the float. It isn't exactly clear from the instructions what you measure from and that 0.01" seems really important :rolleyes:. They are easy enough to adjust, though. I would remove the floats (the pin holding them is easy to slide out) and bend the tang so as not to risk bending anything against the needle and seat.

I put everything back together with the 74 primary jet and did a number of test runs with it. In the end I wound up with the 74 jet and the largest metering rod in the tuning kit and I'm still a little rich in the cruise mode and lean in the power mode. During one of my tests, I had a major bog where the engine was about to stall every time I hit the gas. I got it back home and found this
20230701_143813.jpg

The e-clip had expanded due to multiple removals and fell off, so now I know what happens when you don't have an accelerator pump connected. I have started jamming hair pin clips in place of the e-clips. So far they have held up.
20230701_145103.jpg

At this point I discovered that there are limited parts available for this carb. If it doesn't come in one of the tuning kits (one for the 625 and one for the 750 CFM) it doesn't exist. I think I could better tune it with a 72 jet, but those don't exist and there's not a thicker metering rod to use with the 74 jet.

Another thing I eventually tested is that I don't really have a power mode, per se. I have the stiffest springs in the metering rods (8"), but with the 20" of vacuum at idle, the metering rods don't rise until I'm well into my secondaries. I haven't tested this under load, but in my garage the air door opened before the metering rods stepped up, so I think that is contributing to my lean part throttle condition. I haven't found anyone who sells a stronger step up spring to address this.

To get closer to the AFR target I think I would need a different carburetor with more available tuning parts. I'm at around 50% of the stock flow area on the primary jet/metering rod combo in cruise mode (rod full down) and 60% in power mode (rod up). I can find similar reductions from stock for the Edelbrock AVS2, so jet/metering rod parts are available, but that doesn't address the delayed step up from the 8 in Hg step up spring.

I've also looked a little bit at the more traditional Holley carburetors, but that would be a whole different learning curve. I saw where they sell a 10.5" power valve, which would match the half the idle vacuum recommendation, and there's a risk there of swapping the carb and not getting the results I want, too.

Cheapest and easiest option is to run this one until it wears out, but it's always tempting to try something new. The parts canon solves everything!!

Most people won't have the limiting jetting or spring issues I have, so these probably aren't relevant to most people who buy this carb. Once you get past the tedium of tuning it, though, the carb runs well and you shouldn't have to tune it too often (at least I hope not) so the tedium would be a short term thing.

Three quarters (or more) of the youtube videos say all you have to do is throw the carburetor on and turn the idle mixture screws and you're done! Greatest carb ever!! Too bad that wasn't the case for me. My mileage has improved at least a little, though. I haven't run through enough tanks to get a good idea of what I'm really getting, but so far it is better than the 10-11 mpg I was getting before and I think was worth the effort at least to this point.

Nuke,
Spot on!
I tried to warn people about these carbs.....
The problem can be spelt in 6 letters: Holley.
One fitted to a 400 Pontiac bogged & phone calls to H tech from Australia did not fix it. The factory QJ fixed it.
It is cheaply made & poorly designed. Keeping the air valve dashpot that the TQ had might have fixed some of the bogging. There is a risk of dropping a circlip into the t/bore when changing met rods. Et al.

I don't have enough good things to say about mine. It runs fantastic and all I did was literally put a kit in it, make sure it had all the stock jets and metering rods (I bought it used) put the correct springs in for my vacuum reading bolt it on, adjust the air screws and set the idle and I've been driving it ever since. It's among the best carburetors I've ever owned.

Interesting thread, i have read nothing but good things bout these carbs (other than an easily fixed gasket issue) I have a brand new 750 sitting here waiting to go on my motor soon, I'm kind of surprised a 650 was too rich out of the box and needed jetting

To be blunt, the problem seems to be some major misunderstandings. I'm not surprised, most of us have been misled by the magazines and advertisers to a greater or lesser degree. Heck, these days some of the bad information comes from the aftermarket manufacturer's themselves. If the Nukebass is interested, we can dissect this.

I'm always up for suggestions.

I didn't mean to come across as dogging the carb too much. I just think with a few small design changes tuning it would be easier. I've had it for years now and it works well, it's never leaked, and it always starts (all my starting issues have been electrical). I'd still recommend it. I just ran out of parts to fully fine tune it to my engine.

Dog it all you want. If you had a bad experience, don't fluff it up. .....and I'm not sure if you know this, but to tune with the springs, you choose the spring that's closest to half your vacuum reading at idle. In other words if you have 20hg, choose the 8hg spring, as I think that's the highest one. They make no mention of that anywhere in the deestruckshuns that I've found, but I got it straight from the Holley tech line and it's worked for me. That's the only mod to mine I made. Mine has 6hg at idle so I put the 3hg springs in it and it works well. You can also choose to tune using cruise vacuum. That's how I do it with t Holley style carburetor and it works very well. I've not tried it with this one, yet.

Dog it all you want. If you had a bad experience, don't fluff it up. .....and I'm not sure if you know this, but to tune with the springs, you choose the spring that's closest to half your vacuum reading at idle. In other words if you have 20hg, choose the 8hg spring, as I think that's the highest one. They make no mention of that anywhere in the deestruckshuns that I've found, but I got it straight from the Holley tech line and it's worked for me. That's the only mod to mine I made. Mine has 6hg at idle so I put the 3hg springs in it and it works well. You can also choose to tune using cruise vacuum. That's how I do it with t Holley style carburetor and it works very well. I've not tried it with this one, yet.
RRR do you do at idle or at idle in gear? not that it's a ton of difference, i have just always done in gear (for powervalves)

RRR do you do at idle or at idle in gear? not that it's a ton of difference, i have just always done in gear (for powervalves)
I adjust at idle in neutral since Gladys has a manual transmission. But for an auto, I'd set the parking brake, block the wheels and drop it in drive.

I adjust at idle in neutral since Gladys has a manual transmission. But for an auto, I'd set the parking brake, block the wheels and drop it in drive.
Learning to tune a powervalve was one of the best things that helped me get cars to run right... just night and day (if it's way off)

Learning to tune a powervalve was one of the best things that helped me get cars to run right... just night and day (if it's way off)
IT sure can be! The biggest MYTH you have to overcome with the power valve is that they can influence idle. That's just so untrue it's pathetic and you simply cannot tell people that who don't believe it. You can actually remove the power valve and throw it on the ground, reassemble the carburetor and it will start and idle fine. Since the power valve is not on the idle circuit, it has zero effect there. Now, the metering rod carburetors are a different story. Even though the metering rods are on the power circuit, they do have a small effect on the idle mixture.

I'm always up for suggestions.

I'll give it a shot.
First thing I found really useful was an adjustment in my thinking about engine Air:Fuel ratios.

Idle is relatively rich. More power matches leaner AFR until about 60% of maximum, then AFR must get richer.
That illustration from Larew shows an engine that needs a power valve (rod lift) well before maximum power, like a 10.5 Power Valve would provide.
An engine with better part throttle efficiency would need enrichment closer to maximum power, like a 6.5 Power valve would provide.
Same graphic marked up showing Air:Fuel ratio equivalents to F:A ratio

1694023020190.png

The important thing to start with is the idle. The jets and rods have minimum impact on idle and low speed driving, that's the function of the idle restrictions and air bleeds. Adjust idle mostly with throttle position, and the idle mix screws.
Unfortunately, all of these things need to be tested under load.
Proof?
I posted an example here. overlaying a data log of increasing the throttle in neutral with a log increasing the throttle while driving.
1694023601024.png

Last edited:
My suggestion is forget about the WBO2 for now. Hard to trust them, especially at low rpms. Sometimes they are close and sometime not.

Focus on getting a good idle. One that results in minimum drop in rpm as you engage 1st (or drive).
With 20" Hg at idle, assuming that's like 600-700 rpm, its may have close to stock power at idle. Maybe better than stock in the smog era.
That is a lot more vacuum than most hot rods, so will result in stronger pull on the low speed circuits.
But if the throttle position is ballpark correct, then the idle mix screws should allow you to adjust for a clean and strong idle mix.
If the screws don't provide a level of control (for example screwed until seated and the engine is still running) then the throttle position is too far off.
You can give it a little more or less timing to adjust the rpm if you have to. I'd guess 12-16* BTDC around 650-700 rpm is where it will end up.

I have that exact carb on my 1973 Dart Sport 340 . It has the original 340 engine with a stock rebuild. My Street Demon experience is the complete opposite of yours . I bolted it on new in 2015 , set the choke and adjusted the mixture and idle screws and have not touched it since . Good cold and hot start , crisp idle and great full throttle plus a consistant 15 mpg . The reason I went with the Street Demon was the appearance was similar to the original thermoquad but most important was because of the heat soak , vapor lock issues i was having . Worth noting that I live in Florida , and could simply not drive the car on any day over 85 degrees with the old avs carb . That issue was instantly eliminated with the installation of the Street Demon and I now enjoy my car no matter the outside temperature.

I have the 8 in Hg spring in for the metering rods. I looked for a 10, but haven't seen one.

I haven't thought to mess with the timing to adjust it yet. I have it set at 20 degrees BTDC at idle and around 36 risk mechanical (and then ported vacuum advance on that). My idle screws are nearly all in. I finally saw them lean the mixture up all in, but the car still ran. I am currently about a quarter turn out.

My idle is around 750 RPM. I'll spend some time this weekend adjusting timing and idle speeds and see if I can get the idle screws to work more and see where I can go from there.

Thanks!

I've been running the 750 Street Demon on the 450-hp 360 in my '70 Duster for about 5 years now. One thing I've learned about tuning it with a WBO2 sensor is that the instructions aren't lying when they say to target 13.5:1 AFR for cruise. That does seem on the rich side but I've tried to go leaner and it just throws off the rest of the tune; it'll stumble and just not accelerate as easily when not in the power enrichment mode. I've confirmed from checking my plugs multiple times that the tune is in fact spot-on. Gas mileage also won't improve going leaner because you'll be using more throttle.

I'm not sure why it shows up rich with a wideband but I don't worry much because the gas mileage is as good as it could be considering the loose 2800 RPM stall converter and 3.55 gears. It also performs very well, this past weekend I made my first 1/4-mile pass with the current engine and drivetrain and it ran 12.65 second ET at 108.15 MPH and I feel like I let off a touch early as the drag strip had a very short shut-down area which freaked me out once I realized it already going over 100 mph lol.

My only complaints about the carb are the difficulty in changing jets as you mentioned, and the fact that it has trouble keeping up with the fuel demands of this engine above about 4000 RPM. I think the bowls start to run low up there and my basically stock fuel system can't keep up. These carbs (like Carters/Edelbrocks) are very sensitive to float bowl level. Increasing secondary jet size doesn't have much effect at higher RPMs for my combo.

How much have you messed with the metering rods, and what size are in it now? The selection is pretty wide for those. I tune with the metering rods as much as possible until I get to a max or min size then I swap primary jets, in general.

Currently I have the 74 jet and the 64/56 rod, so the smallest jet and largest rod available.

Currently I have the 74 jet and the 64/56 rod, so the smallest jet and largest rod available.

Your cam doesn't need that much initial advance, it's hardly bigger than a stock 360 4-bbl cam so I'd back it down to about 12-16 btdc and reset the idle speed. Your throttle plates are likely closed too much at idle the way it currently is.

You say in the OP it's rich during cruise and lean during power, what AFR numbers are you actually seeing? I've noticed with mine there's a lot of overlap between the idle and cruise circuits, more than "traditional" carbs and I think they intended it that way.

Nuke,
The mixture screws being nearly 'all in' is usually an indication that the pri blades are open too far, & you are getting a lot of fuel from the T slot. When this happens [ blades open too far ], the mixture screws have little effect because the T slot is supplying the fuel for idling.

You should try MORE timing at idle [ possibly up to 35* ], not less. This will allow the blades to be closed more because the engine makes more HP with the extra timing; this extra hp increases idle rpm, allowing ther blades to be closed further. Bypass air may still be reqd. [ A most misunderstood topic; see the link below....]

img267.jpg

For the AFR reading, somewhere around 12 at cruise and 15 at part throttle acceleration is what I wound up with using the smallest jet and biggest rod.

I just adjusted timing. When I went to 12 the idle mixture screws had no affect even at 600 RPM. I ran the screws all the way in and the car still idled normally.

At 35 degrees the car almost shuts off running a screw all the way in, starting around 700 RPM. With both screws in it shuts off, especially if I reduce the idle speed. There is about a 100 RPM increase going from 20 degrees to 35 degrees. It starts to decrease again around 40 degrees. I left it at 35 degrees timing and 700 RPM with screws about half a turn out.

I also found my throttle doesn't always return to base idle. It goes back to 720 instead of 700 sometimes. I noticed this when backing the screw out; it wouldn't back down until I pushed the throttle and then the car would stall. So I moved the throttle return spring around and the best I could get was the 20 RPM change, but I figure that's close enough.

So if I leave my timing here then I have to lock my distributor, which seems weird to me. I just don't have a concept of why it would need this much initial timing. I have a firecore distributor that's adustable so it should be easy enough to set to 0 advance. I'll have to hook up the O2 again tomorrow and see what it does.

I also put in a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel pressure is around 5 - 5.5 psig which is within the range the booklet says for the carburetor, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have had two of the 625 Street Demons, both good carbs.
I bought the first one and it ran excellent hot or cold, sold the truck and it went with it.
The second one has really impressed me, my Duster had not been started in two years, changed the battery out, cranked the engine over until I got fuel pressure, pumped the gas twice, it fired and idled.
Fuel stable is a great product.
I noticed the AFR was reading a little rich at idle, but something is crazy with my fuel pressure, the gauge is reading around 9 psi. I am thinking I might have pushed the limit on todays fuel, and some of the sticky crap is messing with my gauge.
Anyways, still impressed with the carb.

For the AFR reading, somewhere around 12 at cruise and 15 at part throttle acceleration is what I wound up with using the smallest jet and biggest rod.

I just adjusted timing. When I went to 12 the idle mixture screws had no affect even at 600 RPM. I ran the screws all the way in and the car still idled normally.

At 35 degrees the car almost shuts off running a screw all the way in, starting around 700 RPM. With both screws in it shuts off, especially if I reduce the idle speed. There is about a 100 RPM increase going from 20 degrees to 35 degrees. It starts to decrease again around 40 degrees. I left it at 35 degrees timing and 700 RPM with screws about half a turn out.

I also found my throttle doesn't always return to base idle. It goes back to 720 instead of 700 sometimes. I noticed this when backing the screw out; it wouldn't back down until I pushed the throttle and then the car would stall. So I moved the throttle return spring around and the best I could get was the 20 RPM change, but I figure that's close enough.

So if I leave my timing here then I have to lock my distributor, which seems weird to me. I just don't have a concept of why it would need this much initial timing. I have a firecore distributor that's adustable so it should be easy enough to set to 0 advance. I'll have to hook up the O2 again tomorrow and see what it does.

I also put in a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel pressure is around 5 - 5.5 psig which is within the range the booklet says for the carburetor, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Sounds like you need to verify TDC, if it's running good at 35 degrees at idle something is off. You did find the issue though, not enough timing at idle.

I had it kinda backwards with the transfer slot situation, I assumed it was somehow pulling too much vacuum and thus fuel mixture at idle, whoops...

Sounds like you need to verify TDC, if it's running good at 35 degrees at idle something is off.
What people fail to understand is IT WILL REQUIRE A LEAN MIXTURE to place PPP at the right crank angle to run best with that much initial advance. Start with something like 12-16 Initial and jet accordingly. Engines don't vaporize much fuel at low RPM's that's why they require a rich mixture as they run on the lighter fractions (Fuel is made up of different chemicals that convert to gasses at different temps) Timing and Fueling go hand in hand and if you use too much initial then it will require a lean mixture to match.

One trick is to leave the six crews out of the bottom while you're tuning and getting the jets correct...
I have 3 of these carbs in service now and a customer with a 400 Pontiac. He's happy..
I think the street demon comes with a one-off number 7 Spring in it that is green or something If I remember?..
the Springs I bought the summit brand Edelbrock Knock off Springs for 5 bucks a pack....
I put a 750 on my 408 in my power wagain and when I tried to follow the AF gauge. It ran like c*** but then when I followed how it idled and how it handled it ran perfect, or it runs perfect.
In my opinion the tuning kit is a colossal waste of money..
These carburetors are rich, you're probably just going to need 1 or 2 step leaner jets.. and as mentioned the primary jets are one-off and the secondaries are just typical. $6 holley jets. Spending $80, and I imagine it cost more for a bunch of jets half of which are to rich is a waist of $$$....
FYI the pump shot squirter are holley...

Last edited:
-
Back