Street Outlaw star dies in wreck.

-
It's hard to imagine as fast as those cars are, that they don't have fire suppression onboard. However, if You're knocked unconcious during the crash, You're at the mercy of whomever is there to respond.
A lot of Our street racing in the Pgh. area got shut down due to incidents...New Stanton at Technology Drive(leading to & from the old VW Plant..it was used by Sony early '90's), Crafton Industrial Park, Corrigan Drive in South Park, unfinished sections of the Mon/Fayette Expressway(43), Meadowlands Ind. Park, & lot's of rural locations...the '80's-mid '90's were rockin' times here.
There were "understandings" for them, the Popo would let it go on for a bit then run Us off ~1-1:30AM, We'd return 1/2hr later & usually leave/get chased off by 2-2:30.
But of course dumbasses, complaints, & a couple of accidents....and they dropped the hammer on all of it. I lost My license '93-'94, and when that was up, there wasn't much to go back to.
At Crafton, a Kid was riding the back wheel on His bike, towards the entrance, and bounced off the front of an innocent motorist's minivan that started to enter...bike jammed under a Sundance turbo, Kid at the curb w/a broken hip. Later that month, Guy I went to tech school with was running His '69 Camaro w/a 454 TR against a 5.0L 'stang w/a Paxton, a couple of guys warned Him the Kid was 'all over the place' at the track.....well, they ran & the 'stang lost it on the top end. We heard tires & I looked up in time to see Donny on the brakes & the 'stang do a barrel roll, the slicks actually bounced the rear up in the air, it was almost standing on the nose when it hit the guiderail. Luckily it was near the end of the rail, and slid back until the Dr. door that had popped stuck in the embankment. After that episode, ....there were cops that 'attended' regularly, one in a T-type...the future of this was pretty much doomed...

Last edited:
I too am a big believer in "in-car fire suppression" systems. I mean, seriously, as stated above, it isn't super expensive. I was even a dealer for "Fire Charger" systems back in the day when I was racing. Great idea on the sawzall. To be honest, I had never considered having one ready to go at the track (or the street, as the case may be). Surely the Z car had some sort of fire suppression because he also raced that car at NHRA sanctioned tracks, and it would have had to pass inspection for a car that mph'd what it did?

A lot of people died to make us all safer. And that’s from crosswalks, to driving two mile for a load of groceries, to flying to grandmas house for Turkey dinner, to taking cars that were built to handle 55 mph safety. And we are dying to safe others in the future. Small example is the Hawn’s device for cars running over 150 mph that goes into effect this year.
100% agree, and even though my Arrow hasn't hit 150mph with me driving it yet, it's close enough to that mark that I went ahead and got a head/neck restraint device for this season.

Not that it really matters, doesn't change anything, not even the perception of the guy, but Paul Walker died after getting in with a friend as a passenger in the friends Porsche Carrera GT. Yes, it was a public street, but, then again, who of us hasn't jumped in a car with a friend?

So far as Cali Nate, yes, gone to soon, but we all know the risk of the things we do, and still take the chance, assuming it will never happen to me.
I work around livestock (including bucking bulls), large farm equipment, ride dirt bikes, ride horses, drag race, 480 volt electricity, etc. We all take chances to live "our" life, and sometimes we do pay the price.
Not that it really matters, doesn't change anything, not even the perception of the guy, but Paul Walker died after getting in with a friend as a passenger in the friends Porsche Carrera GT. Yes, it was a public street, but, then again, who of us hasn't jumped in a car with a friend?

So far as Cali Nate, yes, gone to soon, but we all know the risk of the things we do, and still take the chance, assuming it will never happen to me.
I work around livestock (including bucking bulls), large farm equipment, ride dirt bikes, ride horses, drag race, 480 volt electricity, etc. We all take chances to live "our" life, and sometimes we do pay the price.
Yeah, unfortunately we all have an appointed time whether it's driving a race car, crossing a street or just going to sleep and not waking up. The most important thing is to know where you're going when you take that last breath.
Thoughts & prayers go out to the family.

-
Back