Street Pro McLeod Clutch, thoughts and questions

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

Today I installed my new McLeod street pro diaphragm style clutch. I have only driven it a few miles so I don't have a fully developed opinion yet, but boy is it different. Pedal pressure is greatly reduced. And pedal effort drops as you go past the center of travel too. It is going to take some getting used to for sure.

It did solve my herkey-jerkey clutch problem. Those parts house clutch kits are dog poo. 3 of those dang things and not a one worked right.

One thing I noticed is that clutch engagement with the McLeod is right up near the top of the pedal. I'd say in the top quarter or less of pedal travel. I know this is non adjustable and I wondered if this is normal for a diaphragm type of unit. Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes the overcenter spring was removed, and the pedal play adjusted, and confirmed that T/O bearing is not riding the diaphragm fingers.

Thanks,

CE

I have a Centerforce street/strip in my car and it uses the full travel of the pedal to engage/disengage.
I removed the over center spring too, and have stock linkage.
The clutch starts engaging about an inch from the floor, and is fully engaged near the top of the pedal travel with about 1/2'' freeplay at the top
(measured by hand) and the release bearing doesn't touch the fingers when it is at the top.
The pedal pressure is okay, not as light as i expected though. It has the same feeling top to bottom, it doesn't change.
The stock clutch was lighter feeling IMHO, and the pedal pressure is somewhere in between stock and McCleod borg&beck street/strip clutches that i have used in the past on other cars.
The Centerforce is a great feeling clutch, and it is easy to drive the car.
When you rev it up and dump the clutch, it engages right away and doesn't slip at all. (No chattering,smell, or funny noises either!)
I did do the ''Break in procedure'' that they suggested which was 500 miles of easy driving before you got on it, and it seems to be good.
I have about 1200 miles on it now.
I hope this helps, i too was thinking about going with a Mcleod set up seeing that i had good luck with them in the past, but i got the Centerforce for Christmas a few years ago, and i really like it.
Keep us in touch with how the McCleod set up works out for you.

i just installed the McLeod Street Pro also behind my 416/ 833od and its very smooth but the engagement is very high up on the pedal also. I think it just takes time to get used to the diaprham type feel , but it works great.
Hey All,

Today I installed my new McLeod street pro diaphragm style clutch. I have only driven it a few miles so I don't have a fully developed opinion yet, but boy is it different. Pedal pressure is greatly reduced. And pedal effort drops as you go past the center of travel too. It is going to take some getting used to for sure.

It did solve my herkey-jerkey clutch problem. Those parts house clutch kits are dog poo. 3 of those dang things and not a one worked right.

One thing I noticed is that clutch engagement with the McLeod is right up near the top of the pedal. I'd say in the top quarter or less of pedal travel. I know this is non adjustable and I wondered if this is normal for a diaphragm type of unit. Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes the overcenter spring was removed, and the pedal play adjusted, and confirmed that T/O bearing is not riding the diaphragm fingers.

Thanks,

CE

-
Back