Street Racing A Nova !

-
I say fuel system. Lack of sufficient fuel volume.

I hate to agree with the old git but Cracked is probably right - I've had asimilar issue.

Also - if it was hot, then id say vapour lock - but you guys are not getting those kind of temps.

Just to clear the air I do realize that racing on non sanctioned roads is not a good idea, however anytime my group of weekend buddies and I get together it happens and we feel we go about it in about as safe a manner as possible. We are ALWAYS in the country or in an industrial area away from innocent people and homes. Anyone who is at a spot with us is there because they chose to be, nobody is forced to do this and we assume full responsibility for our actions, at most we may hit a deer. I know it's not the best thing to do but it is a rush and always was/ will be. What are some of the most infamous mopars? Jimmy Addison's Silver Bullet and Big Willie's Daytona, both extremely active and popular street racers from the day. Call us stupid if you want but we are never under the influence of any substance (excluding sun drop and pizza) and we've got roads prepped better than some tracks. btw if you need a cheap test spot pour some corn syrup on a road on a hot day in line with your tires and in a few hours you've got a great launch pad. One more time

STREET RACING IS NOT A CRIME. . .well it is but, **** it.

(steps down off soap box and wishes a good day to the kind FABO members)

well put man! unfortunatly where i am there are very strict laws on it happening because the stupid import kids go onto main roads and race constantly for hours on end, and they race in braod daylight on highways, both killing innocent people (dont really care if they die, its their own fault)...they dont have brains to keep it to areas where no one goes (guess they wanna be seen or something)...the only runs i know of happen literally in a period of 5 mins and everyone scatters right after...so it doesnt happen much anymore due to the sever risks of having your car crushed...mind you though if i ever do it, it will be in secluded areas where noone goes...keep it safe man!

Many moons ago I had a similar issue, with out the pinging, and it plagued me, my shop teacher, and any other old timer, I could get to listen, or go for a ride.

Ended up the pump was sucking the rubber line from the hard line to the pump shut, and starving it for fuel.

Me too, I'd say fuel....if mine, I'd tee in a hose+pressure gauge on the fuel line and run it inside the car, then go test drive @ WOT a few times....see if the pressure wants to fall off.

Agree, you are sucking the carb dry or your fuel pressure is low and not keeping up

corn syrup 8) Sounds cheaper than VHT :cheers:

Thanks.
timing is at 36 ,fuel pump normal stock, carb 850. edlebrock 1412. I ran 13.50s all day last month at the Sacramento race way. This is a new situation.

Thick or thin?

I'd run through all the ignition after that and then look into the carb. Possible dirt in there hindering performance.

Thanks . I have heard the orange boxes do have issues. I ran 13.50s all day long in Sac raceway last month.

Thick or thin?

I'd run through all the ignition after that and then look into the carb. Possible dirt in there hindering performance.

I say fuel system. Lack of sufficient fuel volume.

If you roll out of it, then roll back in does it pick up? If so, it's was likely out of fuel. The pinging was from it most likely going lean.

Yes. I got back into it and it picked back up !!!

I had a similar problem, car would fall of and ping at the top of 2nd at the track... I could never reproduce it after cause I wasn't running it at WOT for as long (Stop, 1st, 2nd) on the street.

Mine was 2 things, Orange Ignition box (the chrome is for higher RPM) and insufficient fuel pump for demand. (good PSI, but not the volume, needed bigger line and aftermarket pump)

goodluck

JOE

That's exactly it . Its fine in normal driving and even if i get on it with the kick down. Its only at wot that it happened and even then not all the time. I ran at sacramento race way and was fine. I ran 13.50s all day.

Try adding a couple of redundant grounds from the ignition box AND the engine to the chassis, and another in back, if you have the battery relocated to the trunk. Cured a hard-starting problem I had that was ignition-related.

Can't HAVE too many grounds....:cheers:

While that is truly the best place to be and where I allways wanna be, truth is, it doesn't happen like that all the time. I do try and brush'em off, but every once in awhile..............

R/fish............I'm with ya man!!

circa 1981
untitled.jpg

I'm not going to get in the middle of the street race thing, but here in CA they threaten, and have in some cases, confiscated the cars and will crush them to make a point...

Is your fuel tank new(er)? Had somewhat the same thing happening. Upon taking the float bowls off and removing the dirt clods, realized the tank was falling apart from the inside......

No too long ago I saw a Americas Most Wanted episode about a street racer who killed three people in a Detroit street race and fled to Saudi Arabia. It was late and they thought they had blocked off the street in an industrial area. A woman was lost and ended up on the makeshift track with her two kids. He's facing life in prison. The woman and her two kids were killed.

Take it to the track.

Nice to hear some people can't keep from calling others, unlikable or whatever and just state their opinion.

I won't lower myself to malicious name calling....

corn syrup 8) Sounds cheaper than VHT :cheers:

It is, also way easier to maintain and to get, IDK about you but I can't get VHT at my grocery store but they look at us weird when we show up in a friends GN T type that sounds like a jet and buy a dozen bottles of corn syrup LMAO. one night we were hookin harder on the syrup then non diluted VHT

R/fish............I'm with ya man!!

circa 1981
untitled.jpg

That pic is awesome, just had to tell ya.

Maybe dirty sock filter in tank.....?...or regular in-line filter?

My first thoughts EXACTLY....Try the cheapest fix first....Start with the in-line fuel filter (a whopping $7.00).

A freind of mine races a Buick GS and was having similar problems at the track....He replaced the sock and gained back the tenth he was losing.

1)Replace fuel filter
2)Carter fuel pump (buy one \\ 13.50's is fast enough to need a hi performance fuel pump.
3)When replacing the fuel pump and filter ,pull fuel from the fuel line with a syphon pump and check for rust coming from the fuel tank.
4)rebuild and clean carb \\ check float levels.
GOOD LUCK:thumblef:

This may be a long shot but I had a similar problem a couple years ago in my Duster. I was at the local drag strip making my very first pass in the car. I shifted manually around 5,000rpm, right when I shifted into second the engine completely bogged down. I thought it was going to die before the finish line but didn't. Rpms were dropping and sputtering. I released the gas and everything was fine. I just coasted the rest of the way. After I talked with many people my guess was fuel starvation. Have you ever replaced the fuel tank or sending unit in your car? I still had my original parts in my Duster. We raplaced both the tank and sending unit. Fuel line was already new. I have never had that problem happen since. The sock on the sending unit gets clogged up. Mine was pretty tore up.

Just a thought, nice Dart by the way.

back on topic, its lack of fuel, and we need someone to repop tanks in plastic with provisions for a in tank pump!

-
Back