Street/Strip Tire Recommendations Wanted

-

moparvinny

Reaction score
I really like the look of the M/T ET Front Tires for my Dart, but I'm sure this will not be a tire to drive much on the street (less than 30 miles each way to a cruise/event). Anyone have this tire or similar for street/strip? I know the M/T Sportsman may be a little better street/strip tire. What are your recommendations for the front? Drag radial in the rear?

Wheel sizes as follows:

Front: 14"X4.5"
Rear: 15"X7" (considering the 15" over 14" for rear... good/bad?)

M_T_E_T_Front.PNG

M_T_E_T_Sportsman.PNG

Do not run the front racing tires on the street.
The second picture is a better option. Lighter wheel with a heavier street tire. Lots of guys run that tire at the strip. It's a compromise that you can live with. Don't know much about rear Drag Radials except from the looks of the tread on them I don't think I'd want to be caught in the rain at any speed with them............

Nitto 555r drag radial tires. They have a wet weather rating. They hook decent.

I have heard from a member on here that the mickey drag radial is like driving on ice uphill and wishes he didn't change from the nitto 555r tire.

I personally have the nitto tires on my dart 325 50 15. They do not have crazy traction on the street and I never took them to a strip so can't really compare. It's the wet weather rating I liked as i may never see a drag strip. For the front I just have run of the mill moto master awII tires rated for mud and snow.

I run Nitto's on the rear of both my 10 & 11 second Mopars. They are not a great tire on a prepared drag strip, but they are awesome on the street once you get them warm by driving or on a warm day.

They make both my cars safe to drive by delivering predictable traction on dry streets. They can be melted and overpowered on demand in low gear with a heavy foot, and once they spin, re-hooking them takes time and precise throttle input. When they are warm and not too hot they will dead hook in many conditions, but not all.

The other good things about them is they are high speed rated (186mph) and are acceptable in the rain. As with any wide tire, they do have limitations due to hydroplaning at speed in heavy rain. They last me several years and upwards of <10k miles of hard driving. I do not just smoke my tires for the fun of it. If you are spinning you are not winning.

I beat a Hellcat in a drag race with a set of 275/60-16 on my '68 A-Body, so they do work.

As for front tires, look for the highest speed rating you can buy. I found a set of 149mph rated front tires and run them on the '68 too. That gave me comfort as I was pulling away from those '15 Scat Pack Hemi Challengers at over 130 mph on the top-end on the straight at Willow Springs. Put them all right in shock, and I have nothing but thanks and praise for the Nitto's! They are the best choice for a mostly street 1/2 mile'er car.

JohnRace2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
-
Back