stripped hole on trans case..... help!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
i have a 727 trans that has been rebuilt and "hopped" up for a while ready to go in the car. when i put it in the car i found out that one of the transmission cross member bolt holes is stripped out on the tail shaft housing. how hard is it to change the tail shaft housing? can i do it in the car? the local bone yard has a few. anything to look for in perticular for the new one? i have never torn down a trans but am pretty mechanically inclined. any help is appreciated guys. the local shop wants 200 bucks to do it for me. i can get the part at the yard for 25 bucks.

i would tap it out for a next size bigger bolt. there is enough meat.

i forget if it is a "through hole" or not. im at work and cannot look at it right now. if not then i would need a bottoming tap, correct? i want to make sure that this is going to hold up and not create a bigger problem down the road.

thank you for the response.

Fix it right and put a Heli Coil in it instead of riggin it.

$25 plus gaskets, plus seal, plus oil, plus time, plus R+R propshaft, plus blahblahblah

Helicoil the beyotch and spend the rest of your time/money drinking beer.

It is not a through hole, and does not need to be for a Helicoil. THIS PROBLEM is the very definition of why Helicoils were invented

If you can get a tail housing from the yard for $25 & have access to the snap ring pliers needed, it may be cheaper to go that route. Helicoil kits can get pricey if you dont already have the insert tool & need the complete kit.

Not only will a heli-coil fix the present problem, it will also prevent future headaches. Since the insert is steel, the steel bolt won't be wearing on the aluminum housing. IIRC, the mount bolts are 7/16-14 UNC, you might try renting a set from a local rental yard or machine shop. (Or if you have a friend that works in a machine shop, con him into fixing it for you...)

I put heli coils in whether they need them or not on my own builds. They are alot stronger then threads in aluminum. The steel bolt never wears the aluminum from friction because the threads against the soft aluminum are stationary, Spare Starter Studs are also good to use here.

Helicoil the one you have.

How do you know if the threads are good on the one from the bone yard?

Helicoil the one you have.

How do you know if the threads are good on the one from the bone yard?

well it sounds like heli coil is the way to go. they look like they can be had for a reasonable price. now the question is do i do both of them. lol

-
Back