Stripped threads on driver’s door light switch.

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I screwed up and stripped the threads on the door light switch. Didn’t realize ‘till it happened but the metal in the door post isn’t very thick where this threaded switch screws in. Can’t get to the back side and it looks too thin for traditional stripped thread repairs. Other than sticking it in place with epoxy - any suggestions on a reasonably easy way to fix this? First issue vs epoxy is the need for this switch to be grounded.

The thought of a welder crossed my mind but I don’t have one. I figure that I might need a matching tap to re-establish threads if I add weld material. Perhaps a small dab or two would suffice without needing to re-tap.

Bodyperson has some excellent ideas. You should consider buying a MIG welder though. You can get a fairly decent one now a days for a good price.

Drill and tap a new hole directly below the original stripped one.

Then fish the wire that connects to the door switch back through the new hole to connect to the switch.

☆☆☆☆☆

Depending on how badly it's stripped out, wrap the switch's threads in foil or really thin brass shim stock. A couple wraps of foil should take care of it.

This happened to me and I soldered a thin piece of copper wire around the inside of the hole with a good weller solder gun to do less damage from heat. Then just got a pipe thread to start and used the switch to finish and tighten. You'll be surprised at the strength and finish.

Sounds good. What material? Copper?

I think you will be surprised how well this works.
Some wire like for speakers wrapped around the switch threads and screw it in there.
You will very likely have to experiment with how much wire works best, but I used this method years ago and it is still fine.
The switches don’t need to be very tight either.

Maybe a rivet nut if your not worried about looks.
I like this idea.

Get a 3/8 24 internally threaded rivet or a 1/2 -20 .

Easily available at Grainger or maybe Fastenal.

Paint the rivet body color after its installed.

No one will notice but you and its a solid metal to metal repair.

1710784289061.png

Looks promising… I was not familiar with this product. I just looked it up on YouTube and it looks like a solid option if the easier approaches don’t work satisfactorily.
I used them for the mounting of my regulator so as it was well grounded. Plus, the hole for the thread size you need will need to be larger to accept the rivet nut.

-
Back