stroke

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
I have what is supost to be a 496 440 stroker crank.the box says 4.5 in one spot then 4.125 in another spot..the engine was supost to be ready to put together well.it has std stroke srp pistons.and grp 6.800 rods.I just bought some 6" digital calipers how doI measure the stroke?im very confused!I know I gotta sell/trade the pistons for shorter ones.or buy a std 440 crank and have a nice 440.

You can install the crank and pistons, then get a 1/4" thick piece of plexi glass and drill a 1/4" - 3/8" hole in it and use it as a floating surface on the top head face of the block. Then take calipers and measure tdc and bdc.

That should get you close enough.

I have what is supost to be a 496 440 stroker crank.the box says 4.5 in one spot then 4.125 in another spot..the engine was supost to be ready to put together well.it has std stroke srp pistons.and grp 6.800 rods.I just bought some 6" digital calipers how doI measure the stroke?im very confused!I know I gotta sell/trade the pistons for shorter ones.or buy a std 440 crank and have a nice 440.

JMO: A decent 440, is nothing to sneeze at. Unless you really tune your chassis very well,a stroker 440 will be awesome & hard on parts. Just my opinion, for someone on a budget.

If you have a couple larger "V" blocks you can measure it pretty closely. A couple pcs of narrowed 2x6s with a 2" deep V in them would work. Narrow the end with the V so it's 1/2" thick, then sit the crank in the Vs so it can be rotated. Measure the from the lower side of the journal to the table with the rod throw "down", and then measure it again from lower side to the bench when it's "up". The difference is the length of the stroke. That should get you close enough to figure it out.

Unidentified crank.

Nice looking crank,definitely aftermarket forged. Any printing on the box,in came in ? Part number,supplier,anything? Other wise,that v block measurement Moper recommended, is next. You do realize ,a stroker assembly needs to be custom balanced?

Just stick a ruler on the #3 main and measure from the top of one rod to the bottom of the other. We're talking 3/8" difference here. You should be able to see that.

What a head ache.some parts it came with would be good 440 srp high compressiln pistons,ported 516 heads,unknown 3 bolt purple cam.if the crank is a stroker the studded block grp 6.800 rods.roller rockers.roler lifters.etc I got a whole Inside of duster of parts lol.I still havent sent al the wzy through it al yet.

Why is it a headache? You can use a tape measure to measure it.

Measure centerline of the crank journal to centerline of the crankpin. Multiply by 2

What do u mean by my autoshop teacher?I had auto shop for last 2 periods .but ditxhed to go to work.still passed lol.didnt show us much.I worked at cb performance. Im just lazy.thats why im not posting much anymore.just gonna do what im gonna do.im currently disabled at 31 years old been in lots of pain.

When I traded my dart sport for this car I was like this guy is crazy but the more I get into its thats why the guy traded me.gonna take long time im no hurry anymore.

When I traded my dart sport for this car I was like this guy is crazy but the more I get into its thats why the guy traded me.gonna take long time im no hurry anymore.

hang in there, been working on my (incomplete) basket case for 4 yrs, a little more wiring-it`s ready to lite off:D-bob

Quick question.I measured my cam with calipers getting about 383 lobe lift.im subtracting the round part of lobe (smallest number)from the highest point on lobe.this is where im getting about 383 didnt do the x1.5 when I do its roughly 580 lift.its a 3 bolt purple cam

They are all over between 570-590 hope its a 590its brand new cam why are the differnt from each?is it because its a solid cam?

I hope its the 590 mopar cam.and the crank I cant find v blocks.ive measured like a few have said its coming up with differnt measurements.I just wanna avoid the machine shop.plus hes backed up.hes been doin race engines for over 30 years.he does everything has no help.took him 2 monthes to just check out a 440 block lol

Crank has 2.200 rod journals.is all I have measured so far gotta get some special tools for the stroke

I hope its the 590 mopar cam.and the crank I cant find v blocks.ive measured like a few have said its coming up with differnt measurements.I just wanna avoid the machine shop.plus hes backed up.hes been doin race engines for over 30 years.he does everything has no help.took him 2 monthes to just check out a 440 block lol

make your own out of wood and sit the crank on a shop rag to turn it.

-
Back