stroked 400 build

-

2Big

Reaction score
I am building a stroke 400 and I am wondering if the connecting rod is facing the wrong direction could it mess up the block

yes I am a beginner so all comments pertaining to md having someone else do it or me not being smart enough please keep to your self

well the rod isnt usually directional. The piston on the other hand is, depending on your application. You will have to install one rod and piston into the block on the crank and rotate it to check for clearance. We have to cut .0100 off the counterweights of my crank to make it clear my block when we built my 426. The rods were not an issue.

The only other thing I can think of is bearing alignment. Stock rods have squirter holes which are supposed to shoot to the opposite cylinder with oil, and I believe it offsets the bearing to one side which may cause bearing interference issues if there's a large journal filet, but if there is adequate bearing clearance and rod side clearance and the aforementioned piston alignment, I would think you're ok, but there are much better big block builders on this site...

Yes, the rods are most certainly directional. The lock notches that hold the rod bearings in place must face the outside of the engine.

You shouldn't have to put a disclaimer about asking a question. Everyone has to learn sometime and nobody knows everything.

Yes, the rods are most certainly directional. The lock notches that hold the rod bearings in place must face the outside of the engine.

You shouldn't have to put a disclaimer about asking a question. Everyone has to learn sometime and nobody knows everything.

Yup. Like Rusty said, don't worry about asking questions when you need the info. If you ever get a reply that seems snide it might just be someone's twisted sense of humor or it could be someone that's forgotten what it was like to be a newbie with things. I've gotten a lot of good advice off this site. Sometimes you find out that you've been doing things wrong for years and didn't know any better.

As was said - they are directional in order to clear the radii of the crank fillet. The oiling hole isn't really relevant anymore and many bearings don;t allow for it to function anyway. But getting the chamfered side properly located means the bearings ride where and how they're supposed to.

The big chamfered side of the rod big end faces the crank(1 to the front ,1 to the rear in each set)the small chamfered side faces the other rod. Odd cylinder rods(1,3,5,7) big chamfer faces forward, even(2,4,6,8) face rear

The big chamfered side of the rod big end faces the crank(1 to the front ,1 to the rear in each set)the small chamfered side faces the other rod. Odd cylinder rods(1,3,5,7) big chamfer faces forward, even(2,4,6,8) face rear

moper and d cuda got it right.................

-
Back