stroking a 440??

-

540dart

Reaction score
what is the most i can get from a stock 440 block? i like to build a 540,but well be driven on the street/strip.

Reading on 440source should tell you. I know that some of them recommend a external oiling system. What HP are you shooting for? Id say safely to 600 maybe more with modifications.

the larger stroke cranks tend to interfer with the internal pickup tube....you need to get an external oilling sytem.......try google...

ive talked with many builders as im buiding one myself,indy and koffels place recommend nothing over 500 inch maybe up to 505 due to the fact or the stock block 2 bolt main caps,thin in the webbing around the crank-cam area and a horsepower rating of about 600 maximum

Just saying, Indy and Koffels sell aftermarket blocks. The more people they convince that 600+ is unsafe the more blocks they sell. Some people have success above 700 HP and some do not. My 500 has many runs from 700 to 900 HP.

it technically will fit, but you run the risk of findout what the weak link is... and we already know that the block , particularly at the main webs is the weak link with that much hp.

Most people will use an aluminum cap at that point to soften the blow... and if you have any detonation kiss it all goodbye.

it will run fine on a street motor, you'll never be able to push a steeet tire that hard anyway. but if you plan on making a few dozen passes a year you're pushing it

just lookin out.

Just saying, Indy and Koffels sell aftermarket blocks. The more people they convince that 600+ is unsafe the more blocks they sell. Some people have success above 700 HP and some do not. My 500 has many runs from 700 to 900 HP.

LOL you beat me to it. They do sell blocks, and good ones at that. If 600hp is a limit for a BBM, I guess I need to make a lot of calls to tell some of my customers that their engines I built many years ago are no good.

HP is not the limiting factor, its Harmonics, detonation, balance ect! Tame these, and you can make a ton of power without worry.

The stock blocks will run fine above 600hp, for a while at least.....it's the #4 main cap that might disagree over time depending upon the tune.
I've got literally dozens out there running above 600 for many years albeit @ elevation, the block not actually seeing the full 600.
Closer to 700 I default to better caps, just helps.

i was going to upgrade the caps and oil system.i never built a mopar motor,but i built a lot of chevy stroker motors.

for any bbm block in my opinion.
where the oil hole from the pump takes a turn into the lifter gallery, the inside radius needs to be ground round so the oil can make the turn. drill the oil feed holes to the mains out to 5/16". where the oil feed for the heads are on each side drill a hole into the lifter gallery and on into the oil feed to the heads. use the correct size bit so that you can tap for a 1/16" pipe plug at the hole into the entrance to the lifter gallery. put a pipe plug in each side. this will give you full oiling to the heads. if you use heads that are built for full time oiling you don't need to do this. chamfer the oil holes on the crank so it speards the oil out over the bearings better. use 360* groove mains. use an external oiling system and a 12qt pan. use the best balancer you can buy. have the rotating assembly balance at a good shop. use a main/block girdle that comes with the main caps and studs. heads studs are best to use also. use the best chain timing set you can buy or a gear drive, the cheap ones seem to work as good as the better ones. you can use hard block also but only fill it up to 2" of the deck or the bottom water housing hole.

LOL you beat me to it. They do sell blocks, and good ones at that. If 600hp is a limit for a BBM, I guess I need to make a lot of calls to tell some of my customers that their engines I built many years ago are no good.

HP is not the limiting factor, its Harmonics, detonation, balance ect! Tame these, and you can make a ton of power without worry.

That's right, because excess harmonica, detonation and imbalance can explode even the best aftermarket block. Nothin will stop it from coming apart at those HP levels if it's not right.

non of of my big block chevy strokers have blown up yet.and my last one was a 572 with 850 dyno hp and 879 tq.

-
Back