StrudRod Removal

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
I removed 2 bolts and loose up the strud could not get it out...Any help out there would make my day...this strut is on driver side. I would assume passenger side will be the same...Oh it's a 1973 Plymouth Scamp
Thanks,
Scamp

Attachments

• Driver side front Strut.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 250
you have to release the tension on the torsion bar & then back out the lower control arm.Lawrence

So I got it out and got it back in both passenger and driver side. I did passenger side first. When I wrench the nut in with 45ft. lbs with the new torque wrench. I kept on wrenching without hearing any click. I realize that I over torque due to defective torque wrench. I exchanged the wrench. Loose up over torque nut and front bushing and re-tighten with 45ft. lbs but I end up with the same thread distant as it is over torque. If I compare driver side with passenger side, There is more thread exposed on the passenger side than driver side. So what will happen if I over torque the driver side as well to make both side balance? (recommend or Not)

Thanks,
Scamp

Attachments

• Front Suspension torque spec.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Driver Side Strut.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Passenger Strut.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 231
Those look like 73+ strut rods. I just did some with the replacement Moog bushings. They actually had a steel sleeve that goes through the rubber on the strut rod and yours should to. The sleeve bottoms out on the big washer making it impossible to squeeze one side more than the other. I didn't even torque them just tighten them up till they were tight on mine.

Here is a picture of the old bushings and the sleeve that runs through them. That drawing you have is for an earlier version of a strut rod bushing.

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 1972 Dart 002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 259
Or you can cut them out. They pissed me off so bad I cut mine in half with a die grinding wheel and am using Adjustable ones with the hiem joint. Same with 1 of my torsion bars. The flipping thing would not come out so I buzz cut it.

-
Back