strut bar removal

-

river rat

Reaction score
The nut on the strut bar is crazy tight. Any tips on loosening the nut before I clamp the rod with vice grips to keep it from turning?

I had to use heat and an impact gun and pipe wrench to stop it from turning! It was a b with an itch!!

PB Blaster overnight. Then once you get it and the LCA out, and on the bench,rag and pipe on the front, impact on LCA nut side.

Take the nut off os the control arm side . Clean up the threads for easy removal. Reinstall the nut and torque it tight with the control arm still in place. This will hold the rod from spinning while taking the nut off of the bushing end. Once that nut is removed you can then procede to take off the arm end nut and since you cleaned it up the rod will not spin in the arm. "No impact" this would be the way to do it. A vise grip will leave teeth marks in your rods . If you don't mind the marks go for it. Steve

I found out -- it was best to loosen that before removing the strut rod bushing-- don't know if you can mount it back in the car & break it free, double nut the other end possibly? Lawrence

Take the nut off os the control arm side . Clean up the threads for easy removal. Reinstall the nut and torque it tight with the control arm still in place. This will hold the rod from spinning while taking the nut off of the bushing end. Once that nut is removed you can then procede to take off the arm end nut and since you cleaned it up the rod will not spin in the arm. "No impact" this would be the way to do it. A vise grip will leave teeth marks in your rods . If you don't mind the marks go for it. Steve

Thanks, i'll give that a try.

Where are you located in Houston? I live off 59 north towards New Caney, and I have an electric impact. PM me and we'll see what we can do.

Go back on with adjustable strut rods that way you can get some caster adjustment out of your front end.

A guy in Atlanta sells them for $175 per set and they are beefier than stock bars, and adjustable.

Saving up for a set as we speak.

Go back on with adjustable strut rods that way you can get some caster adjustment out of your front end.

A guy in Atlanta sells them for $175 per set and they are beefier than stock bars, and adjustable.

Saving up for a set as we speak.
hey Spaz, that sounds cool! Yo Yo Yo, give ya brutha da' Hookup :afro: and pass the info on this cat!

-
Back