Strut rod bushing

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I bought the improved k7040 moog strut rod bushing and noticed there are no inner sleeves with them. How much do you tighten them without squishing them too much? Is there a special torque spec for them or is there a metal sleeve on the inside of the bushing? Thanks guys!

K7040_lg.png

The pic you posted is generic. There's a metal sleeve on the inside of the bushings of the K7040

I've always tightened the nuts until the bushings become the same diameter as the washers. Remember the washers cup outward, away from the bushing, not toward them like you would think. I don't think that the metal sleeve is used on these style.

Thanks krazykuda. So I guess the torque spec gets thrown out the window since there is nothing keeping the rubber from smashing.

Thanks krazykuda. So I guess the torque spec gets thrown out the window since there is nothing keeping the rubber from smashing.

Yes. That's how I found out about tightening until the bushings are the same diameter as the washers when I was looking for a torque spec. I prefer these style bushings over the single design and have used them for many years and many miles. Even worn out a few (I had an old Cuda go over 450, 000 miles on it before it finally had to be retired and use them on that car twice with no problems (rebuilt the suspension twice in all those miles).

Just seems weird to me that they don't include an inner metal sleeve to keep people from over-tightening, ya know? Oh well, I guess I'll just snug them up and run it.

Just seems weird to me that they don't include an inner metal sleeve to keep people from over-tightening, ya know? Oh well, I guess I'll just snug them up and run it.

I hear ya.

But if you think about it, tightening the nut to compress the bushing is how they get the bushings to the proper "compression/stiffness" for the vehicle. It may take more variation on one vehicle than another to get the bushings properly compressed and pre-set compression stops and may not be the same for one car to another, it may have to be adjusted "to the car".

I would also check them in 2 or 3 thousand miles to make sure that they are still compressed enough after things wear in.

Really? My K7040 bushings didn't come with any.

The metal sleeve should be integrated in the bushing itself, not a separate piece. I'd be shocked if Moog changed the design & cheapened them that way....:scratch:

I thought I had a set here, but can't find them at the moment.

The metal sleeve should be integrated in the bushing itself, not a separate piece. I'd be shocked if Moog changed the design & cheapened them that way....:scratch:

I thought I had a set here, but can't find them at the moment.

x2
The metal sleeve IS integrated in the bushing itself, and not a separate piece.
Follow the MOOG install directions and your golden.

When you say it's integrated, do you mean, there is an actual sleeve cast into the rubber piece preventing from over-tightening, or are you just referring to the round register that fits in the frame hole? Either way, I'll see if a magnet sticks to them. Now I'm curious.

Btw, I called the Federal Mogul tech line (Moog) and they said just disregard the factory torque spec and snug them down until the bushing is a tad smaller than the washer.

When you say it's integrated, do you mean, there is an actual sleeve cast into the rubber piece preventing from over-tightening, or are you just referring to the round register that fits in the frame hole? Either way, I'll see if a magnet sticks to them. Now I'm curious.

Btw, I called the Federal Mogul tech line (Moog) and they said just disregard the factory torque spec and snug them down until the bushing is a tad smaller than the washer.

Make sure the car is at ride height when you snug them up.

When using these do you follow the follow the guide lines on the outside of the metal washers.?

Instead of the washers being cupped toward and covering the bushing, they are cupped outward. Thanks

I am sure yall have more experience on these than I do but my F S M does not show them cupped out mine is a 73 with the factory 2 piece

-
Back