strut rod bushings?

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, been getting some great advice as I rebuild the front end of my 70 Duster, so am throwing out another question. Hopefully this will be the last one. I got the performance kit from PST. The bushing set they included for the front of the strut rod is different that what I took off the car. They were pretty confident they were correct. Attached is a diagram of what they sent for instructions. Mine did not have the spacer, centering collar or the washer toward the rear of the car. I want to verify that is what my Duster is supposed to have, from the size of the hole in the frame I would think it should but it doesn't show in the service manual picture. PST included the spacer and I have the forward washer. Can I just use a plain flat washer for the rear as the new bushing has about an inch or so flat end instead of the concave washer? And also does anyone know where to get the centering collar?
Thanks

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 285
They lasted one roll control burnout and were laying on the street in pieces. Have them send you there one piece bushing sets. Since I installed them I have no problems.

Something.
My 73 dart swinger has one piece like this.

....................A 70 duster has a 1 piece bushing from the factory......thats 73 up style....kim........

Attachments

• strutbushing.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 272
Look on rockauto at the one called "improved design". I used that on my 65 Dart (or maybe from Energy Suspension, I forgot). What they sent you looks similar, but not exactly. While the original was the 1-piece design shown above, I don't like it. Not only is it very hard to squeeze the rubber thru the hole, the rubber is quickly cut by the frame, in my experience. I got the PST kit for my 69 Dart in early 90's and it had the 1-piece type, so looks like they improved.

My "improved kit" had 2 indentical hard rubber (polyurethane?) parts with steps that fit in the frame hole, a steel collar thru them as shown, and the 2 curved washers on the outside. I don't recall the "centering collar" shown. Maybe that drawing is for AMC. I similarly did my 65 Newport. It was slightly different in that the 2 rubber pieces were different with one having a step that fit into a recess in the other.

Don't quote me, but I recall that both curved washers should bend away from the frame, which seems counter-intuitive. Without a manual, most people would think they should cup over the rubber bushings as the one on the right is shown (incorrectly?). I think the outward curve is to allow free pivoting as the strut angle changes. I imagine it would work fine if you used a flat washer, but it should be the same thickness. Also, don't try too hard torquing the nuts to expose the cotter pin hole (I think the Dart has one). I couldn't get to it, and stopped since one FABO guy broke his strut that way. After a few years wear, I'll tighten the nuts more and see if the hole appears.

Thanks guys, gave me a lot to think about. Looking at some other vendors, it appears that polyurethane seem to come in the two pieces, while rubber comes in the one piece. As I got the poly sitting on my bench, I think I am going to bolt those suckers up and take a look at them. If I don't like they way they seat up to the frame I'll pull them off and go rubber.

Thanks again everyone

Just did mine yesterday. They were one piece ones that look like the picture TrailBeast sent you. They were poly bushings that I got from Classic Industries. They went in real easy,I put a large socket over the back side of the hole and pressed them in with a large "C" clamp. Popped in like cake!

-
Back