Strut Rod Question

-

Brandini

Reaction score
Installed the driver side lower control arm and when moving on to the passenger side it seems that I have lost one of the bushings for the strut rod, decided to just try and purchase another bushing kit just for the one after looking and somehow within 2 weeks all auto parts stores as well as online are out of stock on the same rare parts branded bushings. Going to try and call the manufacturer tomorrow if they are unable to sell it would it be okay to use some Moog branded bushings on the opposite side without having to take apart the driver side suspension again.

Yup, all the 73+ strut rod bushings are out of stock, including the Moog ones. Which means they're probably all made in the same place anyway. Moog is 2 weeks out on a "special order", no one shows anything shipping before August and I would suspect that is likely to change.

As far as mixing and matching, as long as the materials are the same it shouldn't be a big problem. The biggest deal is that the strut rod is roughly the right length, so the thickness of the bushing and material is more important. You just don't want the strut rod pushing the LCA back or pulling it forward too far and causing binding.

Rare Parts is showing both one piece and two piece styles available on their website.
Parts
I just guessed on your car, but this is for the '73 and up A-Bodies.
Pretty expensive, but that's probably to keep their wholesale customers happy by not undercutting them on direct sales.

Rare Parts is showing both one piece and two piece styles available on their website.
Parts
I just guessed on your car, but this is for the '73 and up A-Bodies.
Pretty expensive, but that's probably to keep their wholesale customers happy by not undercutting them on direct sales.

Same part number at Autozone, which shows it unavailable in stores and not shipping until August. Not sure that is going to be any different than the 2 week wait time Moog claims. Also, same exact stock photo as the Moog parts. In fact, if you open the stock photo on Rare Parts, the name of the file is "MOK7068". That would be MOOG K7068. Same parts.

I have a set on order from Jegs, they've been on order for a week already with no updates on shipping.

I ordered a set a month ago on Jeg’s and finally cancelled the order last week b

I just bought a set last week at our local NAPA a relative. He keeps them in stock because I buy pretty many. I better go buy what he has. What half do you need. Male or female? Male front Female rear. My sons dog stole a set I got out for pics and chewed one up. Do yours have a metal shear sleeve? Or all rubber. I may have what you need extra.

Quit dealing with Advance and RockAuto
Pick it up Wednesday at NAPA

AD593D9C-2BE8-4564-BC38-F51F2CDA2CCE.png

Same part number at Autozone, which shows it unavailable in stores and not shipping until August. Not sure that is going to be any different than the 2 week wait time Moog claims. Also, same exact stock photo as the Moog parts. In fact, if you open the stock photo on Rare Parts, the name of the file is "MOK7068". That would be MOOG K7068. Same parts.

I have a set on order from Jegs, they've been on order for a week already with no updates on shipping.

Yes, I've seen somewhere in the Rare Parts site it says some of the parts they sell are manufactured by Moog. Until I saw that not long ago, I thought they manufactured their entire product line.

OK, found it, here it is:
Rare Parts stocks the available product lines from Moog, McQuay-Norris, TRW and more. When a part goes obsolete, or has never been available in the aftermarket, then Rare Parts uses its full in-house machine shop and testing facility to design, test and manufacture it.
We currently manufacture thousands of parts right here in Stockton, California.

The website allowed me to get all the way to the checkout without saying the strut rod bushings are out of stock. I thought it might be worth it to Brandini to try.

i'm on the edge of my keyboard waiting to find out which he needs...:popcorn:

Those are only for the ‘67-72 cars and will not work on the ‘73+ cars. Napa also lists those bushings as fitting the ‘73+ cars, which is completely incorrect.
So... I posted that from my phone at work this morning. Now at home I can see that's the wrong bushing. My bad, and NAPA should correct their website. This is obvious.
When I did my 74 a couple years ago I got a pitman arm from Advance auto. It was wrong, it was for manual steering and I had power. I had to eat it since I had already painted it. I tried contacting them. I'm sure if you looked at their website you'd find its still listed wrong.

We have the 2 piece style(287) in stock at $32 a set. We also have the one piece style in stock too. We do not list these separately on our site. So if you are interested pm me and I will get you squared away.

Thanks
James From
PST

-
Back