Strut Rod ressembly - Bushing

-

Geo4K

Just your average Gearhead.
Reaction score
I'm reinstalling my suspension today, following the manual and it seems to call for a sleeve that goes between the two rubber bushings - on the front of the strut arm. I swear that when I took it apart that there was no metal sleeve present.

So I am concerned. Can you guys chime in and tell me if there is actually a sleeve present there?

Sleeve - manual.jpg

Sleeve actual.jpg

Yep there definitely should be.

Dunno if there is some weird aftermarket bushing that doesnt use them or not.

Do your bushings fit tight to the rod? If not there should absolutely be a sleeve there.

Btw, if you need a set i have some i could send you for the cost of shipping. Not trying to make $s on them or anything. Just throwing it out there.

The bushing kits i have bought in the past (poly kits) have had new sleeves with them. are your bushings new?

Beat

CE

Yes, the bushings are new - 2 piece from Moog. The OEM were 1 piece.

George, I just replaced my suspension with PST torsions and strut rods
Here's a picture of the original setup with the bushing. Btw PST sells em.

image.jpeg

ValiantOne, I'd gratefully reimburse you for the shipping for those.

Btw, if you need a set i have some i could send you for the cost of shipping. Not trying to make $s on them or anything. Just throwing it out there.

The bushing kits i have bought in the past (poly kits) have had new sleeves with them. are your bushings new?

Beat

CE
PM sent

I'll check to see if I have another set in the shed.

It was the one piece bushing that didn't take a sleeve.
What it does is stop the nut from tightening any farther when the two piece bushings are at a certain crush point.
So, if the rod has a shoulder on it that stops the washer from sliding all the way down to the other washer you don't need the sleeve.
Just put it together and tighten to spec while making sure it stays centered in the frame hole, and if yours takes a cotter pin put it in.
If a crush nut no cotter pin hole, so no pin.

George, I just replaced my suspension with PST torsions and strut rods
Here's a picture of the original setup with the bushing. Btw PST sells em.

View attachment 1714940150
Al, you seem to have a lot of grease on the front end of that arm. Mine was dry as a bone. Do I need some lube in there with the 2 piece/sleeve setup?

Dry is just fine and the way they were made to run.
Some do lube them but there's no point in it.

Al, you seem to have a lot of grease on the front end of that arm. Mine was dry as a bone. Do I need some lube in there with the 2 piece/sleeve setup?
I used Polygraphite Bushings and the grease came with the kit but you don't need it.

Thanks to all for the near instant support - what a great & generous community we have here!

I had the rubber busing like the ones you have and cannot recall there being a sleeve in the bushings. On Polygraphite versions yes, there is a sleeve. I went through my resto pictures and couldn't find any reassembly pics of them to verify. Here is an assembled pic for you.

1971 Duster 340 resto, Ruster to Duster 2 - 0395.jpg

-
Back