StuBBle has left the field.

-
Pretty happy with this for now. I can’t believe how close the red oxide primer is to the patina. Almost like it was planned. All covered and protected for now. Driver side en route!

IMG_9781.jpeg

IMG_9783.jpeg

IMG_9784.jpeg

IMG_9789.jpeg

Im bored again so it’s time to take on a big one. The rail is only damaged under the floorplan. I’m going quite a bit ahead of the damage with the new piece. I pulled it into place long ago, but it took a while to find a repair section.

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9830.jpeg

image.jpg

A bunch of hand calculated squiggley lines and away we go! The hole is my guideline.

IMG_9831.jpeg

IMG_9832.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty well rock solid. Now just the small parts to do. I use self tappers to suck the floor down. Then remove one at a time and bevel the hole with a drill. That way I weld the hole in the frame and a bigger pocket in the floor pan. Very good connections.

IMG_9845.jpeg

IMG_9847.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

IMG_9852.jpeg

IMG_9853.jpeg

IMG_9854.jpeg

Pretty well rock solid. Now just the small parts to do. I use self tappers to suck the floor down. Then remove one at a time and bevel the hole with a drill. That way I weld the hole in the frame and a bigger pocket in the floor pan. Very good connections.

View attachment 1716226316

View attachment 1716226318

View attachment 1716226319

View attachment 1716226320

View attachment 1716226321

View attachment 1716226322

Nice work! :thumbsup:

I have to do this on my Challenger but in reverse. The section under the floor is fine but the battery and rodents packing the frame rail with upholstery took out the section about where your stopped your section. I cut out the rust, patched and reinforced it when I first bought the car but I have a full OE rail now. Once I get it back underway I'll have to evaluate doing the entire rail or just from about the firewall forward. I'd unquestionably do the whole rail if I hadn't decided I was gonna just section it at one point and welded the new floor section to the old rail under the floor like a dumbass.

I often think about undoing things later, but doing it solid over rides the temp fixes even if I change plans! Yup, more work.

Really nice work so far. WAY better than I could ever do.

Thank you very much Sir. That may be true, and I do appreciate the compliment. I'm self educated through this site, so thanks to all.
But your knowledge sharing input is far above many of our abilities here. Way above mine for sure.

I will be using your talent when the time comes to make it run! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks again Randy. I do love seeing the fruits of my labors.

There isn’t much more satisfying in life than seeing changes you’ve made or helped to facilitate, in cars among many other things! Sharing entertainment is a great hobby too.

Awesome car, I love 71 B-bodies they're an outstanding designed car. You are doing an awesome job with it. I'm glad you've provided me with another great thread to follow along with.
Keep up with the great work !!!

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary, George.
The car is really starting to shape up!
I too have seen it in person, and he definitely does good work...

Thanks Tom. I agree, it really is starting to look cool again, and it is solid enough to pass an inspection if I made it run.

Thank you very much Sir. That may be true, and I do appreciate the compliment. I'm self educated through this site, so thanks to all.
But your knowledge sharing input is far above many of our abilities here. Way above mine for sure.

I will be using your talent when the time comes to make it run! :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words. I'd gladly trade some of one type of knowledge for another. Especially at this point, since I need to finish some body work. I just don't think I have enough experience to do it.

-
Back