Stuck cam bolt!!!

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a couple hours to kill this morning so I went out to the farm and starting tearing the old 9" drum brakes off of the front end of my Dart.

When I got to the upper control arm, the first cam bolt tapped right out of the bushing. The second one was not as easy. It is stuck. It will spin, but I can see the inside of the bushing turning with it. I'm pretty sure that the sleeve to the bushing is seized to the cam bolt which is keeping it from coming out.

Any ideas on how I can get this out? I have soaked it for 2 weeks with penetrant. I beat the piss out of it with my BFH but have only budged it a 1/4 inch or so. My buddy wants me to get a sawsall and cut the bolt out.

Thoughts?!?

I don't know how you would get a sawzall in where you could do that, but then it may explain why one of my inner fenders had been "worked over" and cut up. You might could get an air cutter in there. If you could cut the outer shell away you could also cut the rubber away. You might then be able to grip the inner sleeve of the bushing with vice grips and turn the bolt.
Seems like if you got it to move 1/4" that it would have gone the rest of the way.
C

the bushing does not spin with the bolt, it shouldn't at least..

It looked like I could see something turning in there with the bolt. The rubber itself wasn't spinning, that's why I thought there might be an inner sleeve or something. I've never done this before.

I beat it with the biggest hammer I had, and a quarter inch each way is all the movement I can get. The spindle and drum are out, so the control arm swings down quite a bit. Should be a pretty straight shot with the sawsall if that's what it comes down to.

yeah ive had that problem before. if its just small joint upper arms, start cutting.

yeah ive had that problem before. if its just small joint upper arms, start cutting.

Exactly. My buddy is going to load up a fresh blade and we'll start cutting!! I think I can slide the blade on either side of the bushing. I don't want to damage the area on either side.

If you have access to air tools, you can rattle the bolt out of the sleeve w/ a chisel attached to an air hammer. The vibration will rattle it loose.....

-
Back