Stuck in paint shop HELL!!!!

-

FJ5

Reaction score
Thought I would sneak over to the paint shop (unannounced) to check on the progress. Since they have had my car since April I figured it ought to be about finished.
I pull up to the shop and the door is chained shut and no one there. Guess they been working so hard they had to close early. Lol. Three months past promised delivery date and $7k over estimate.

Thought I would sneak over to the paint shop (unannounced) to check on the progress. Since they have had my car since April I figured it ought to be about finished.
I pull up to the shop and the door is chained shut and no one there. Guess they been working so hard they had to close early. Lol. Three months past promised delivery date and $7k over estimate.

Maybe the flu that has been so bad lately all over the state, a family emergency or the weather had something to do with them closing early. You just never know until you ask.

That should be a new reality show "Body shop hell" I have a friend who's car was stuck in hell for 5 years and he overpaid (as far as I'm concerned) and the work wasn't very good either. But on the body shops side they had to redo most of the sheet metal work my buddy did. Good Luck!!

That should be a new reality show "Body shop hell" I have a friend who's car was stuck in hell for 5 years and he overpaid (as far as I'm concerned) and the work wasn't very good either. But on the body shops side they had to redo most of the sheet metal work my buddy did. Good Luck!!
To be fair they have done a great deal of work and I have been completely happy with the work and craftsmanship they do on the cars they turn out. I'm just tired of waiting. Will be assembling the engine only to have no car to put it in. Frustration is the word I'm looking for.

It sure seems like this is a story that I hear way, way too often. Really makes me gun shy. Good luck and hope it get's done soon and done right.

I fully believe it will be done right as I said befor he does great work. It was supposed to be done before Christmas. So I could have it back together so my son could drive it to his senior prom. Just trying to make some father/son memories. Now I guess he will just remember it wasn't finished.

That's nothing. The guy for whom I was helping his widow with the sale of his Scamp had a really bad experience. He paid a "restoration shop" over $24,000 to work on another car that he had. When he passed away, his widow received a phone call that he wass be evicted and she needed to pick up Roger's other car. Knowing how much he had given this guy throughout the years (about 2 or 3 IIRC), Lisa was expecting a basically "done" car. This is what she got instead...

Attachments

• 2011-12-13 08.00.05.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 270
That's nothing. The guy for whom I was helping his widow with the sale of his Scamp had a really bad experience. He paid a "restoration shop" over $24,000 to work on another car that he had. When he passed away, his widow received a phone call that he wass be evicted and she needed to pick up Roger's other car. Knowing how much he had given this guy throughout the years (about 2 or 3 IIRC), Lisa was expecting a basically "done" car. This is what she got instead...
You have to wonder how guys like this sleep at night.:wack: Karma will come around and bite him in the ***.

I dont understand how these shops stay in business. I give people a quote on detailing for $300-$400 and they look at me like Im nuts but others will keep handing thousands to body shops for nothing.

Whoa, I'm kinda on the other side of this fence. My body and paint man works relentlessly on things, and he is so fast (and good) that I can't pay him fast enough. I'm a little reluctant to take anything there unless I have all the $$ in hand, as he'll have it done before I can make the rest of the $$!!! Geof

Ya, handing people money for nothing really sucks! I think what happens with some of these body shops is the collision work side of things. They cant really give an accurate time estimate because when a wreck comes in, your restoration job just gets moved back for the insurance check. My last dart repaint was about five months later than originally agreed. I think that is the trade off with a shop that does resto/collision work. A restoration only shop is hard to come by and probably triple the cost.

Ya, handing people money for nothing really sucks! I think what happens with some of these body shops is the collision work side of things. They cant really give an accurate time estimate because when a wreck comes in, your restoration job just gets moved back for the insurance check. My last dart repaint was about five months later than originally agreed. I think that is the trade off with a shop that does resto/collision work. A restoration only shop is hard to come by and probably triple the cost.

That's exactly how it works. If you take it to a collision shop the best real estimate on time is...... "It will be done when it's done."

If you are told anything else, they are BS-ing you.

I would have a REALLY hard time with 7k over the estimate.
What was the original quote 50 bucks?
Then keeping my car for years on top of that would just send me over the edge.

....I think what happens with some of these body shops is the collision work side of things. They cant really give an accurate time estimate because when a wreck comes in, your restoration job just gets moved back for the insurance check. My last dart repaint was about five months later than originally agreed. I think that is the trade off with a shop that does resto/collision work. A restoration only shop is hard to come by and probably triple the cost.

Exaaactly! You are so spot-on here! The last car I took to a body shop (and the last one I ever will) had to "squeeze me in" at various times during the week when he could yank his guys away from the lucrative insurance jobs that paid really well for relatively quick jobs. But I still got mine outta there about when he promised, maybe 2 months late, but mine needed zero metal replacement, and it was delivered to him as a rolling shell and that's how I picked it up too. But I've had cars in "body shop hell" before, with all the lies and bullshit deadlines etc.

The reason I say "last one I ever will" is because I'll never allow myself to be held hostage by a flaky body shop again. I'll paint 'em myself, for better or worse. I'll sleep much better at night......not to mention, I can't afford that sh** no mo'.

I never had a good experience with any body shop for restoration work...expensive for what they actually did...poor quality work...long delays...tons of BS.

So I learned about paint and body work at a local community college and painted 8 cars over a 15 year period on my parents driveway, in my backyard and in my own garage.

I have back/health issues now, and my current house is not set up for much garage/paint/body work...so my Duster I just ran through Maaco...can't see spending a ton of money for paint on a $10K-$15K car.

At some point i will go back in and fix the little things that bother me and repaint the car....but sometimes fast & cheap is good.

Paul

The problem here is that many confuse a body shop with a restoration shop.

They are not even close to the same thing.

Body shops stay in business, keep their lights on and pay their employees by repairing cars that have been in an accident. The technicians are on commission, getting paid for each job.

They are paid at book rate and work off of an estimate negotiated between the shop and the insurance company.

If the estimate is negotiated at 10 hours for a repair and the technician gets it done in 6 hours..... He still gets paid for 10 hours.

In a collision shop it is a looser for a technician to do restoration work. 1 hour work = 1 hour pay.

1 hour work = 1 hour pay may be normal in the rest of the world but in the collision industry a Technicians hourly wage is set lower. By the time a technician reaches a journeyman level it is expected that he will be doing at least 1.5 hours work for every hour worked.

That is how a body tech and a collision shop makes money.

In a "Real" restoration shop the customer is charged by the hour, this can be $50 or more.

Then you have the customer..... They want it done fast, at the lowest cost, and expect perfection.

Lets look at the math on a $7000 paint job.

$2500 for materials

leaves $4500 for labor and the shop.

$4500 divided by $50 an hour shop cost = 90 hours.

90 hours = $1575 paid to the body and paint technicians based at $17.50 an hour.

$4500 - $1575 = $2925 left for shop profit.

Now take $2925 and start subtracting business tax, light bill, environmental fees and so on......

So for you guys bitching about a $7000 paint job....... Are you really expecting a painter and body-man to perfect your car in 11.2 days (90 hours divided by 8 hour days) and split $1575.

If so...... Paint your own damn car.

Oh..... And remember, if we miss a little ding or you see an imperfection after we finish, you will expect us to fix that for free.

I dont see were anyone is bitching about paying for quality work. Its the countless shops that charge thousands for doing nothing. If you can not finish a job in a timely manner you should not take the work and charge for it.

I agree but am attempting to clarify. If you take your car to a collision shop and expect the body to be restored the timeline is "whenever it's done, it's done."

In short...... Don't take a car to a collision shop for a restoration.

It may take years to get it back.

-
Back