Stuck in traffic 340 got up to 220

-
This

FB_IMG_1626273864482.jpg

212 degrees
Wellllll, that is at sea level standard atmospheric conditions. As you go up in altitude there is less weight of air or atmospheric pressure on the water, so it boils at a lower temperature. If you put water in a jam jar with a bit of tube soldered into the lid and put vaccum on it, you can get it to boil at room temperature.
Water is the best heat transfer medium, but freeze protection and increased boiling point are of great benefit. Different chemicals used for antifreeze or heat transfer have different freeze and boiling points. 50/50 mix with water gives the best overall performance. Here on the Canadian prairies where I have experienced -50°C or about -60°F, or in the Arctic where -70°F is possible, 70% ethylene glycol antifreeze is adviseable. This is the maximum freeze protection as after that it can get to "jelling" where it just gets like jelly and will not move through the heater core or radiator. The engine can overheat but the jell in the rad core will not move.

Hi everybody:

I never drive my car in this kind of heat, probably 95' F but I was coming home from the shop. Things were okay going along at high 180s until I got stuck at a light the last mile from home when it got up to 220. I was lucky though to pull over and shut down in another trailer park under a big tree in some shade where I just sat for an hour where the temp kept climbing to 230 even though in was shut down. After an hour it was down to 180 and rush hour wasn't too bad anymore so I left the trailer park but the pace was still pretty slow. By the time I reached my place it was up to 200...not too bad. Things seemed perfectly fine. I ordered a better fan about a week ago and a I'm getting a shroud made too but I'm not driving around in that traffic again that's for sure! Do you think anything might have been harmed is what I'm wondering about?
First off, don't turn off the car. Parking under the shade, opening the hood and letting it idle will drop the temp faster than turning off the motor. 50/50 coolant with a good rad cap won't boil at 230 Deg F. Your engine is fine,

If it's not some kind of combustion leak into the coolant system and or it has a poor tune ..I'd say that your radiator is too small

At hwy speed you don't even need a fan.
Fans are for stop/idle and pre 40 mph cruising. Your water pump and air passing through the radiator do the cooling at hyw speed. 6 or 8 impeller water pump?
Play with more or less timing maybe.
Check that you have sealed the front core support around the radiator and that the fan is within an 1" of it.
Fwiw Should be using around an 18" fan if without fan shroud.
I used to have a 92 Cheby S10 with a 4.3 L I put almost a 100k on it with no fan at all. It was still in fine running condition when I traded it in on my 91 W350 Cummins powered.

212 degrees
water boils at 212 under sea level pressure. The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. for instance, exposed to 15 psi (a common radiator pressure cap), the boiling point will now be 45°F. higher (3 psi times 15 psi cap). Under this pressure, water boils at 257°F.

water boils at 212 under sea level pressure. The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. for instance, exposed to 15 psi (a common radiator pressure cap), the boiling point will now be 45°F. higher (3 psi times 15 psi cap). Under this pressure, water boils at 257°F.
I think that's been covered ad nauseum and it's "at sea level" as we're not referring to anything under water.:poke:

I think the fact that Mopar performance engines were shipped with a clutch fan should say volumes about what fan to use, along with the shroud. These engines would run consistently around 180 degrees. Other factors to consider; timing, if it isn't right the engine will run hotter. Water pump, use a pump for an a/c equipped car, they will move more coolant through the system. Obviously this next thing shouldn't relate to your issue, but the whole cooling system should be flushed occasionally, to remove scale that will build up in the water passages. Back flushing would be the preferred method. Just a few things that popped into my head.

I think the fact that Mopar performance engines were shipped with a clutch fan should say volumes about what fan to use, along with the shroud. These engines would run consistently around 180 degrees. Other factors to consider; timing, if it isn't right the engine will run hotter. Water pump, use a pump for an a/c equipped car, they will move more coolant through the system. Obviously this next thing shouldn't relate to your issue, but the whole cooling system should be flushed occasionally, to remove scale that will build up in the water passages. Back flushing would be the preferred method. Just a few things that popped into my head.
From what I understand an a/c water pump requires an a/c pulley.

From what I understand an a/c water pump requires an a/c pulley.
I'm not sure about that, but I put an a/c water pump on my '72 340, no problem. The pulley bolts to the water pump, bolt pattern is the same, shouldn't require a/c pulley.

I'm not sure about that, but I put an a/c water pump on my '72 340, no problem. The pulley bolts to the water pump, bolt pattern is the same, shouldn't require a/c pulley.
Well, an a/c equipt A body had just what I posted for a reason from the factory and of course it's going to bolt up. The pulley size has nothing to do with the bolt pattern.

I QUITE AGREE , BUT THOSE FACTORY SET UPS WERENT DEALING WITH THE H.P. WE ARE GETTING OUT OF THEM NOW -------JUST MY 2 CENTS.

I QUITE AGREE , BUT THOSE FACTORY SET UPS WERENT DEALING WITH THE H.P. WE ARE GETTING OUT OF THEM NOW -------JUST MY 2 CENTS.
I was talking about a stock engine. Of course when you build it, especially if you go radical, there will have to be improvements in the cooling. I can still remember hearing many engines that had radical builds being cranked after they had been driven, shut and restarted, sounding like they were not going to start.

Ignition timing is a big deal too.
If you don't start the combustion process soon enough, then the mixture keeps on burning as the piston is heading for the bottom. This puts extra heat into the cylinder walls and into the cooling system.
Under no-load or low-load situations below say 3000 rpm, your engine might be wanting 45/50/55 or more degrees of lead, to get the job done. So for sure, you need a working vacuum advance system.
And even then use straight mani vacuum over ported vacuum to the can and it will run even cooler......

I was worried about the main bearings but I guess they would be okay? One vehicle I saw where I guy just kept driving and driving and they just melted away. The crank shaft was a mess. It was a GMC suv from the early 80s
Worst case of overheating damage I ever seen was a 318 out of a 73 charger, I got the engine off a guy I bought a 70 Challenger off of.
He said the car yard drove, and he pulled the engine and trans, and sat in outside covered with a tarp.
It was free, and complete so I hauled it home. Buy the time I got around to it, I was locked up, I figured from sitting outside....
Wrong, the soft plugs were rusted out on the back of the heads, the crank was ok but needed turned, the big issue was the piston pins were seized in the pistons.
That is getting an engine hot. I guess it yard drove, until it did not.

In my opinion, cooling systems tend to be an area where some people feel the need to re-invent the wheel. All too often I see these crazy water pumps, fans, and theories.

Yes, a higher horsepower engine is going to create more heat. Heat is a byproduct of fuel consumed and output. To rid of heat, a heat exchange must take place in the radiator, airflow removing heat from the coolant as it passes through the tubes and fins.

In my 69 Swinger, with a W2 head 408, I am running a stock 69 replacement water pump with a stock 69 factory fan and clutch. This combined with a Smiths aluminum 2 row radiator with 1.25" tubes. With the rad is a custom made shroud, also by Smith's, that puts the fan exactly where it should be relative to depth within shroud. I have never seen temps over 200 with the exception of a stuck thermostat. Even on very hot days it never heats up in town or on the highway. The highest operating temp I've seen is a hair over 190. I run a 180 thermostat. Agree with the others that timing plays a role in operating temps.

As far as your engine heating up over 230 when shut down, I would not worry about it. I do understand your concern, it was my first outing with the 408 when the thermostat stuck, this did make me nervous. 5 years later and never an issue again. FWIW, many new vehicles always run over 200 degrees in order to meet emissions standards. Heavy trucks and equipment run best just over 200, in fact I've seen truck drivers use adjustable fronts on their trucks all year to keep temps up around 200.

In the future, if you do heat up again, your best method of cooling is to keep it running at an elevated idle speed, and mist water through the radiator. The energy used to turn the water sprayed through the radiator to steam will pull heat from the rad, therefore cooling the engine.

Chris

Next door in Alberta.

Last edited:
In my opinion, cooling systems tend to be an area where some people feel the need to re-invent the wheel. All too often I see these crazy water pumps, fans, and theories.

Yes, a higher horsepower engine is going to create more heat. Heat is a byproduct of fuel consumed and output. To rid of heat, a heat exchange must take place in the radiator, airflow removing heat from the coolant as it passes through the tubes and fins.

In my 69 Swinger, with a W2 head 408, I am running a stock 69 replacement water pump with a stock 69 factory fan and clutch. This combined with a Smiths aluminum 2 row radiator with 1.25" tubes. With the rad is a custom made shroud, also by Smith's, that puts the fan exactly where it should be relative to depth within shroud. I have never seen temps over 200 with the exception of a stuck thermostat. Even on very hot days it never heats up in town or on the highway. The highest operating temp I've seen is a hair over 190. I run a 180 thermostat. Agree with the others that timing plays a role in operating temps.

As far as your engine heating up over 230 when shut down, I would not worry about it. I do understand your concern, it was my first outing with the 408 when the thermostat stuck, this did make me nervous. 5 years later and never an issue again. FWIW, many new vehicles always run over 200 degrees in order to meet emissions standards. Heavy trucks and equipment run best just over 200, in fact I've seen truck drivers use adjustable fronts on their trucks all year to keep temps up around 200.

In the future, if you do heat up again, your best method of cooling is to keep it running at an elevated idle speed, and mist water through the radiator. The energy used to turn the water sprayed through the radiator to steam will pull heat from the rad, therefore cooling the engine.

Chris

Next door in Alberta.
Thanks..

I think that's been covered ad nauseum and it's "at sea level" as we're not referring to anything under water.:poke:
1 more, 1 more.....because I think it is easier to see the relation (I'll leave out the equations for my non science folks). Basically, water stays in the liquid state longer as pressure increases (yay for radiator caps!)....which is why someone above was saying at high altitude water boils at a lower temp; granted, that only applies to atmospheric conditions at altitude. :D

1.jpg

Well I just got my 17" Derale fan. There's is no way this thing is coming apart and it should blow pretty well in the shroud. If they think it's too small or whatever we'll get something better

s-l1600.jpg

-
Back