Stuck in Vail, CO

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I-70 is closed Eastbound, not a hotel with room availible anywhere. Major snowstorm has the road closed. Tried to find a parking spot to catch a nap, but the plows are keeping me up.

I worked last night until 2:30am too. This is nuts.... Just waiting until the road opens so I can get home and sleep 12-15 hours. :wack:

BTW, this storm wasn't supposed to pop up until Monday. I listened to the weather all yesterday to avoid such a situation. Good thing I have my go-bag with me.

Yeah, that stinks...be careful, wait it out and don't take a chance. Been in those situations. BTW, hotel prices in around Vail are on a different planet aren't they, like you said if you can find one.

Not a room availible in 30 miles... Not even the 500 buck a night ones (not that I'd do it). It's been snowing like a ***** since I got stuck here at 1 am.

Get the hell out of there before they ban something!

LOL!

Stay warm and take care of yourself.

Have plenty of fuel. Found a relatively quiet, safe place to park.... with 12 other people in the same boat... Road's still closed dammit. Westbound Vail Pass is open, East bound Vail Pass is still freaking closed at the 180 mile marker. At least I caught some zzzzz's. I feel much better now even with a little nap.

I have two alternatives to get home, but they are much worse roads than I-70 and will double my mileage. One is 24 in Colorado Springs and back to Denver, the other is 121 (Wolcott) up into Steamboat Springs and back to I-70. Damn....

Woo Hoo! Just checked, East Bound Vail Pass is now open! I'll grab a cup O Java and hit the road (figuratively).

I remember a night like that trying to get over Monument Pass for a Scorpions concert ...

Travel safely and get home to the pups Joe -- you deserve some rest. I hope your boss truly appreciates you!!

I will be right there, ............................in about 21 hours.
Do you have plenty of water? has the weather changed for the better or is it just going to get worse ? I don't have a map but I vote Walcott just because there is a Walcott park just 20 miles from me.
How can I entertain you this morning till the roads are cleared ?
Dang Joe I bet that van is getting smaller and smaller by know
Come back ...

Get on the cb and talk to anyone!!! crank the radio up and let the coffee get
kicked in, wow I slept in and seen this thread and glad you have a road open to get you toward a hot shower and a well needed few hours of rest

Darn Joe, sunny here in Bailey, though we did get a skiff of wet snow over the night.

Be safe on your journey home!!

!!!DAMN!!! What's your amateur class now? You have HF in the rig?

Be safe, man. It's a good thing you have the presence of mind to keep a "go bag" in the vehicle.

I remember a night like that trying to get over Monument Pass for a Scorpions concert ...

Travel safely and get home to the pups Joe -- you deserve some rest. I hope your boss truly appreciates you!!

Company doesn't care, I called them at 1 am to tell them I was stuck and they were pissed. I was supposed to be at a job at 9am in south denver. :eek:ops:

I will be right there, ............................in about 21 hours.
Do you have plenty of water? has the weather changed for the better or is it just going to get worse ? I don't have a map but I vote Walcott just because there is a Walcott park just 20 miles from me.
How can I entertain you this morning till the roads are cleared ?
Dang Joe I bet that van is getting smaller and smaller by know
Come back ...

Yep, had plenty of water, always keep my canteen on my go-bag plus a water purifier... just in case.

Hope your travels are safe bud.DD

Thanks DD, it was a tough, scary ride back in a 2 wheel drive van. I said a prayer for myself up Eisenhower pass. It was white out conditions with loose powder on ice.

...............Good luck 2 ya....................kim............

Thanks old kimmer! Got back in one piece.

Darn Joe, sunny here in Bailey, though we did get a skiff of wet snow over the night.

Be safe on your journey home!!

It was bad nbd. Vail pass got 2.5 feet at the summit.

!!!DAMN!!! What's your amateur class now? You have HF in the rig?

Still Tech class, but I have the Gordon West General Class book next to the bed. All I really have to do at this point is take the test. So for now, I just have a 2 meter radio in the van. They do have a linked 2m repeater in Vail, but I couldn't drum anyone up at that hour.

Be safe, man. It's a good thing you have the presence of mind to keep a "go bag" in the vehicle.

I could survive for 3 days easy with everything in my sling bag and a week if cut my rations... even longer if I could hunt/fish up some grub.

glad you made it safe Joe, there were some nasty wrecks up on the I-70 hill. people were dying up there

-
Back