Stuck Oil Pan

-

Dart50

Reaction score
I was out of town for a week so I am just getting back to replacing the timing chain.
I was not at it too long before I hit my next problem.
What I thought was going to be a simple job is kicking my butt.

I go to drop the oil pan a bit so the timing cover will fit. Loosen the first three bolts on each side and the pan does not flex at all. Then I remove all but the last two bolts at the back of the pan. Still won’t budge. Now all of the bolts are loose and I cannot break the pan free. All but the front two bolts are in place but backed out ¼”
I tried:

> Put a 2x4 on the front of the pan that hangs out under the front of the block.
I hit the 2x4 with a hammer alternating sides.

> Put a wooden handle in between the K member and the pan sump and pried.
The engine rocks on the mounts but pans still stuck to block.

> Put a 2x4 on the side of the sump and hit it with a hammer. Still nothing.

If I beat it any harder I am probably going to mess the pan up so I am taking a step back…

Things I have considered…
• Remove the front seal and just use a bead of silicone so I can get the timing cover in.
• Beat the pan until it finally gives in. Replace it if I mess it up too much.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.
Thanks

The timing chain cover gasket should come with just some front pieces of the edge gasket and the rubber seal. No need to drop the pan down whatsoever. You just cut the front edges of the pan gasket, a small amount of silicone, a new rope seal, install timing cover, pull it down with the vertical bolts, install horizontal bolts. Done.

The timing chain cover gasket should come with just some front pieces of the edge gasket and the rubber seal. No need to drop the pan down whatsoever. You just cut the front edges of the pan gasket, a small amount of silicone, a new rope seal, install timing cover, pull it down with the vertical bolts, install horizontal bolts. Done.

Exactly what I did when I changed my cam and chain.

No matter how hard I push down on the timing cover I cannot get it down far enough to line up any bolts. I was thinking of using those two front pan bolts to pull the cover down into place but thought it would just mess up the front of the pan. I am 6’4” and just south of 300 lbs. All of my weight on the front of the pan would not get it down enough to start any bolts. We looked into the hole while I am pressing down and we are still off by half the bolt width (only half the hole in the block was exposed). I was thinking if this force would not move it into place then something else needed to give a bit. Do I just give these two front bolts between the pan and the cover hell and use then to crank the cover into place?
I have never done one of these engines before.

What I did not mention…
It is a new timing cover because one of the previous owners broke some of the casing off around the seal and globbed on some epoxy to cover the holes they made. I did not feel comfortable with reusing it. Not sure if the replacement parts make any difference.
With the irregular shape it is hard to line them up exactly to see if there is any small difference in the bottom radius.

Yes. I've never had to lower the oil pan to replace the timing chain cover gasket. Just trim the short oil pan gasket pieces that come in the timing chain gasket kit and be careful not to knock them off position when installing the cover.

You may want to trim the tits/nubs off the round gasket in the front of the pan after you use them to pull it into position as they get in the way of the two front oil pan bolts...

I use a couple of screw driver inserted thru the timing chain cover into the block to pry down the cover to get bolts started

Will the "old cover" fit? 340's and 360's are different.......

I went looking to see what the difference is between the 318 and 340 cover just to make sure I have the right one. I found someone gave the following feedback on the cover I think I have:
“Poor quality the height dimension is taller than OEM”
Not sure if this is my issue or if a just need to use more force.
Anyway……
Just got the stink eye from the wife because I turns out we are having dinner guests and i forgot.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow to try them.

Will the "old cover" fit? 340's and 360's are different.......

Yes, the old cover will fit. They covers are all interchangeable, just the timing marks moved.

The 360 is different in the rear seal around the rear main, the front seal is the same as the other SB's and is interchangeable...

The 69 and earlier oil pans used a rubber gasket with 6 nubs/tits around it, but that will work on all timing chain covers as the radius is the same...

-
Back