Stuck rear drums questions

-
Sounds like the tapered axle puller I have. Although I have used it twice. Had it over 30 years though. It's there if I need it.
Yeah, I still have two of those! I used to have three, but, I broke one trying to remove a real rusty rear hub and drum assembly off a '64 Dodge 880. The guy used the car as his tow vehicle for his boat. After decades or backing it into salt water, he finally needed a rear brake job. It looked real nasty from the git go, but, hey, I had THE tool for that! I hammered until I just about wore myself out. Heated the hub with a torch hoping that would help. After about a half hour of heating the hub and beating on that knock-off handle, it finally gave way.....the puller did. Stripped the threads right off the post. Ended up cutting the hub off with a torch. Had to change the axle seal too at that point. Got another one of those pullers and used it a few more times, then just ran across another for next to nothing that was included in a tool lot I bought at an auction. Haven't needed to use either one again! :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I still have two of those! I used to have three, but, I broke one trying to remove a real rusty rear hub and drum assembly off a '64 Dodge 880. The guy used the car as his tow vehicle for his boat. After decades or backing it into salt water, he finally needed a rear brake job. It looked real nasty from the git go, but, hey, I had THE tool for that! I hammered until I just about wore myself out. Heated the hub with a torch hoping that would help. After about a half hour of heating the hub and beating on that knock-off handle, it finally gave way.....the puller did. Stripped the threads right off the post. Ended up cutting the hub off with a torch. Had to change the axle seal too at that point. Got another one of those pullers and used it a few more times, then just ran across another for next to nothing that was included in a tool lot I bought at an auction. Haven't needed to use one again! :lol:
Yeah those things can really get STUCK.

I got it off, i backed off the adjuster all the way and it still wouldnt budge even with a hammer. So i heated it up and it popped off on its own.

-
Back