Stuck Roller Rockers

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Any tips for getting rockers off shafts that were apparently over-torqued on the end bolts without destroying the shafts? The move just to the end and get stuck. I did take a small file and chamfer the holes but didn’t help. Was thinking about trying to put the “egg’d” ends in the vice with alum jaws and try to compress the shaft back into shape. Not real confident it’d work.

Maybe try polishing the ends with emery cloth?

Slightly debur around the bolt holes with a sandpaper roll on a die grinder. I would mic the shaft to see just how out of round it is. They should be heavy wall shafts with roller rockers.

Any tips for getting rockers off shafts that were apparently over-torqued on the end bolts without destroying the shafts? The move just to the end and get stuck. I did take a small file and chamfer the holes but didn’t help. Was thinking about trying to put the “egg’d” ends in the vice with alum jaws and try to compress the shaft back into shape. Not real confident it’d work.

That’s a common thing when they have been torqued down beyond the recommended specs.

If you have a lathe, or access to one, you could probably true up the shafts by 'squeezing' in a vise & then checking for high/low spots with the lathe.

If you have a lathe, or access to one, you could probably true up the shafts by 'squeezing' in a vise & then checking for high/low spots with the lathe.

Wrap them to keep the jaws from marking them up a do it , I did it w/ a huge pair of channel locks !

-
Back