Stuck spring bolts, what's the trick?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Eye bolts in my leaf springs are stuck on there, they turn but it tears up the bushing too. Not trying to save the bushings, just the hardware, so what's the trick? My heart says a good 4lb hammer and some force, but something tells me those bolts/nuts wont like that too much. I dont have torches or anything of that nature, just some good ole hand tools. TIA FABO

Try heating them up with propane torch and twisting... Then back off the nut until it's at the tip of the bolt threads and use a hammer or air chisel with a pointed tip/punch to drive it out axially... It also helps to put a socket underneath that will let the bolt head drop and not keep it from moving...

I used my u-joint press,got it moving one way,then back. A few times and out it comes.

Are you talking about the bolts that go through the front spring bushing?
Just to be clear.
My memory tells me that the bolt goes in from "outboard".
That may be wrong.
Regardless, I hope you are trying to get the nut off by turning it.
Obviously, if you are trying turn the bolt with the nut still tight that could be the issue.
It would mimic the bolt being seized in the inner sleeve of the eye bushing.
It would turn.
Getting the nut off involves the usual things.
I think heat was mentioned.
Clean the treads first and oil or anti-seize the threads.
I don't think I would wack it because you might cause damage.

REMOVE the leaf springs from the car first. It will be much easier to deal with that way. This way, if you must heat anything, you will have everything away from the car with way less chance for a fire. You will also have much more room to get at everything.

I ended up sliding a sawzall blade between the hanger and spring and just cutting the bolts. Then pressed the bushing out of the spring and replaced it.

There ya go. Some of the new bolts are pretty tough, will burn up a good blade and hardly mark it.

I think if it was a "new" bolt it wouldn't be rusted to the inner sleeve? Cut that rusty bastard off and then spit on it when it's laying in the driveway. Been there and done that.

Are the springs hanging loose? No rear end and not still attached at the rear? ...it's amazing what a small amount of pressure will do to slow you down - add in the rust factor and yeah, they ain't comin' out easy. I would think some PBBlaster is in order - get it on there good, soak it - then put the nut back on the bolt so it is flush with the end of the bolt - now a 2x4 on the end of that and smack it good with a hammer or mallet - first from the left, then from the right - repeat. You need to get the bolt moving side to side - even just a hair. Once you're sure it is moving - MORE PB - repeat previous maneuver if need be - - - take the nut off and get a good heavy punch - get it centered on the bolt and give that a few good smacks with a hammer.

-
Back