student reprimanded for tackling a knife wielding classmate

-
What a great attitude. Your friends call you "Geoawge CosTANzia?"

X10

X10

Yup.

Think about this, Jar. Someday YOU may need help. Might not be a violent crime, might be a car crash you are in, a house fire, most anything. "People just like you" just keep walkin' by like they don't even see ya.

And that would, indeed, be the smart thing to do. The day I decided to never help anyone ever again under any circumstances was the day a dude pulled someone out of a wrecked car (with gas leaking everywhere), she ended up paralyzed, sued him, and won. Not worth it...just let her burn.

Perhaps you are being too hard on Jarlaxle by taking him literally.

I was being literal.

I don't believe he's the type of person who would leave someone to a tragic fate if he was in a position to do something about it.

Then you're wrong.

What I think he is saying is that by allowing the forces that advocate and preach such nonsense to remain in control, WE are becoming responsible for the societal cowardice and moral rot that now plagues most of "civilized" humanity. He is simply emphasizing the frustration we face when trying to fix the problem.

No, I am simply saying that my father was right: look out for number one. Always look out for yourself first, last, and always, because NOBODY else will.

Quite possibly.

And I seriously pray that you get someone just like yourself....

For someone who is new here, you're not on your way to being welcomed very much.....

And by your views on looking only out for yourself you are definitely not military, a police officer, medic, or firefighter....

Jaraxle, I stand corrected. I guess my 23 years in the Air Force influenced my naive belief that you instinctively take care of others, because you never know when you will be the one in need. Come to think of it, my parents and grandparents taught me the same thing. Guess it's becoming an obsolete concept......

Jaraxle, I stand corrected. I guess my 23 years in the Air Force influenced my naive belief that you instinctively take care of others, because you never know when you will be the one in need. Come to think of it, my parents and grandparents taught me the same thing. Guess it's becoming an obsolete concept......

And people like him owe their freedoms to people who went to protect a nation of strangers....

It is a shame as to what we have become, cower in fear, don't get involved etc.

Walmart fired three employees a year or so ago for stopping a man with a gun from committing an act of violence against someone in the store, FLAT OUT fired them.

I worked for Wal-Mart a total of ten years. Early on '95-'96ish, our store had a stream of robberies. One happened while I was outside on my break having a smoke. Some guy ran by us at the break table with my managers and a few others chasing him. I got up ran after him and caught him by one arm right as security caught him and dragged him down. All said and done he ended up with a broken ankle (from my manager twisting it to keep him on the ground) and 2 broken ribs from the security guy putting his knee in the guys back harshly.

Turned out he robbed the cashier at knife point. I for one am glad he suffered some injuries before the police got there, but we were all written up. It wasn't long after that that store/company policy changed (not because of our incident, but a number of others as well) and employees are no longer allowed to try to stop or apprehend anyone robbing the store. They are to let them go and call the police afterwards. It all comes down to insurance issues and the company not wanting to get sued by someone who got hurt after robbing the store or sued by someone who was injured trying to stop or apprehend someone.

Some of these people get stupid about it. Had one manager get in his truck and chase a shoplifter. I have story after stupid story about this kind of stuff.

I agree, when the time comes, do what you feel is right, but the store is only out to protect their profits for that year.

No, you're right...it took me a while to overcome that instinct.

The day I decided to never help anyone ever again under any circumstances...

Nice.

Given the above statement then, if you have a question about something pertaining to your car, why should anyone seek to offer information or to help?

Or, why should anyone take any answers you might have for them in the same situation? After all, you decided to never help anyone ever again under any circumstances... Your answers would therefore be full of ****.

I thinks there's help on different levels thou. I can see where Jarlaxe is coming from. Tons of crazy stories where the wrong thing happens to the right person and it just shows how corrupt our world is. Get rid of lawyers, pay congress minimum wage, and then maybe tomorrow will be a better place.It's insane how we have all these highly educated people, yet they do **** like this. Maybe we should get dumb people to run our country and see how we're doing in a couple years....

I don't care if the Lady did sue me. I would know that I saved her life. If I get in trouble for doing what is right so be it. What if it was a baby your going to tell me you would walk away. Remember everyone is someone's baby, mother, father, son, daughter.

Nice.

Given the above statement then, if you have a question about something pertaining to your car, why should anyone seek to offer information or to help?

I was going to post the same thing. Hope nothing goes wrong with his car as no one might be willing to help :D

cowards..........both of you.

Didn't read my post, did you. (That's not a question.) Yet again: I am not AFRAID to help. I have DECIDED that I am UNWILLING to help. I did a cost-benefit analysis and concluded that the potential cost is high and the potential benefit is zero.

The potential benefit of helping others where you can and are able is that you might not lead a crappy bitter existence.

"But I don't lead a crappy bitter existence, I'm just fine" blah blah blah. Yeah, I know, but being open to helping others in general makes you a more attractive and likable person.

-
Back