Stumped by a Strange Sound or Vibration

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
On the way home this evening, I noticed my car developed a strange sound or vibration. It has a "whomp-whomp-whomp" (that's the best I can explain it) kind of sound. It does not make the sound sitting at idle in neutral and I did not notice it sitting at idle in gear. It becomes more prominent the faster I go. I am thinking it is something either associated with the driveshaft or in one of the wheel assemblies. But I thought I would put the question out there to FABO and see if anyone has any thoughts. If I can't identify and fix the problem I am probably going to have to leave the Dart at home for Carlisle, which would be terribly disappointing.

That's also a possibility I suppose. I'm going to take it into a shop on Monday and have them take a look. Can't really think of a reason why a tire would just suddenly go bad though. I didn't hit any holes or anything. Heck, I don't even drive it that fast. I would think a tire would be obvious at any speed.

Why would anything suddenly go bad? Everything works until it doesn't. Does the noise change when you turn the wheel? Could be a bearing issue. Could be a lot of things. Going to have to start narrowing it down some.

Why would anything suddenly go bad? Everything works until it doesn't. Does the noise change when you turn the wheel? Could be a bearing issue. Could be a lot of things. Going to have to start narrowing it down some.

I don't disagree. I just figured I would put the thought out there since FABO tends to have a lot of answers and recommendations. Does not appear to have anything to do with turning the wheels. Sound seems to become more prominent the faster I go. That's why I thought maybe a wheel or driveline. It has the whomping sound but not necessarily a vibration that gets worse. I just didn't know how to describe it exactly.

Quick update. Turned out this was a bad axle shaft bearing. Went ahead and replaced the bearings and seals on both sides and that solved the problem. Thank goodness it wasn't something more serious.

-
Back