Stupid AC/heater control question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I've got a 68 Dart dash I'm trying to put back together. Does the AC/Heater control unit mount from the front side, or the back?

1971%20Dodge%20Dart%20Heat%20and%20AC%20Control%202.JPG

I put it in from the backside, and the whole unit seems to sag a bit making the buttons hard to push with the bezel installed.

Thanks!

Thanks. That's what i thought. I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece then. Is there something that supports the back side to keep it from drooping?

There's hopefully someone here with some assembly pic's that will help shine some light on what your doing!

There is a plate (if you have a full dash bezel)or just a heater bezel that mounts from the front. It has the studs needed to tighten the switch up. What does your dash have,just the heater switch area bezel or a full dash front bezel?

Picture 1359.jpg

It's got this one:

316-d68ackit_large.jpeg

I do have the metal plate with the two studs holding it on. Even with those tightened, the back end of the controls still sag. I still need to tighten the two bezel screws from the back side. I can't imagine those two screws will make much difference. They were broken off, so I had to repair them. Hopefully they'll hold. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the input

Well, I figured this ***** out. Turns out the control mount was loose. If you look at it, it's made of two pieces, a stamped steel piece that the switch attaches to and a potmetal (I think) face piece crimped to it. I ran a couple screws down between the two pieces and it tightened it right up. Once I reinstalled it, no more sag and the buttons work like a charm. If anyone else is having a hard time pushing the buttons on thier AC/heater control switch, see if the unit is loose between these two pieces. Hopefully the screws hold up.

Picture0817161923_1_zpsgyf24olc.jpg

Picture0817161837_1_zpsxutfwyjv.jpg

One step closer to getting my junk back on the road.

Picture0817161919_1_zps9tcrbqek.jpg

A "poke at it" push button controller with inadequate support is typical for pre 73
For every ones general knowledge, When the engineers changed everything about this system for 1973 models they added a controller support limb that reaches up to a previously available speaker support mounting stud on the right side. Those "poke at it" buttons went away too.

-
Back