Stupid Brake Question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
On the retainers (the nail looking things with short coil springs and circular retainer cups) that hold the brake shoes to the backing plates, are you supposed to use 2 cups to sandwich the spring, or just put the spring against the shoe and use one retainer cup to keep the spring on. I always thought you needed 2 per spring, but the hardware kit I just bought at autozone, only came with one per spring.

I have always used two. I have had the same problem with the kits from places like AutoZone. It's a good idea to buy extra cups and keep them on hand for anytime you do brakes.

Not a stupid question at all,some brake hardware kits come with enough washers to go on both sides but usally one side has a round hole instaed of the oblong hole for the nail.
If you exsisting brakes came with two per spring then I would use you used ones on the back side.

just my opinion--- Bob

Just did all drums on 71 demon. Had the same issue and just reused the old washers. As long as they are not warped or broken there is no reason not to use them.

Yup, just use the old ones on the shoe end of the spring and you're good to go.

There never was a real need for a centering disc where the hold down spring meets the shoe. For the aftermarket to delete such a piece is typical.

-
Back