Stupid cam plug question

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Ya know, I've done this enough but never remember. Its
20170120_183556.jpg
like Greg Superformance rear main seal. I have to ALWAYS ask, which side out?
20170120_183556.jpg

I bought a box of those Dorman cam plugs last year, and every one of them was cracked due to the forming process. Long story short the engine leaked out the back. Try holding that plug up to the light and carefully look for light peaking through, then fill the back of it up with some solevent and see if it leaks. Bought a box of old stock Pioneer cam plugs off Ebay problem solved.

To answer your question they go in with the logo facing back.

Is that a cam plug? That's the strangest lookin cam plug I've ever seen. I wouldn't use it. I always use the ones that look like a large regular freeze plug. They install backwards from normal freeze plugs.

This is the correct plug for a small block. As you are showing the picture, the wording faces out. Some cams have an extra long 5'th journal and require the likelihood of cam end to concave cup style contact to be not an issue, so hence this style!

There are a few, the one Op posted in the pic goes in that side showing facing out.
I also like to run a bead of etc around the edge.
There are also the cup style, those go cup side in then nail the center with a hammer and center punch. Silicone on that style is a very good idea.

Thanks, man. I've been using these for a few motors. Bought a box awhile ago. Never had a leak.....yet. similar to the one Rusty posted. I refuse to use the old style that you seat, then wack the center. ...just seems archaic. Use a nice coat of Indian Head, seat it to bottom. Never have to think about it again.

Thanks, man. I've been using these for a few motors. Bought a box awhile ago. Never had a leak.....yet. similar to the one Rusty posted. I refuse to use the old style that you seat, then wack the center. ...just seems archaic. Use a nice coat of Indian Head, seat it to bottom. Never have to think about it again.
we use pioneer or mellings soft plugs. no leaks , good quality.

-
Back