Stupid Dart Gauges

-

bonshee1971

Reaction score
I just bought a 69 Dart GT. The fuel and temp gauges do not work. I have been reading alot of posts about this problem and the cures are anywhere from making a solid state regulator to soldering wires directly to the board. Upon examining mine, I notice that there is some corrosion and loose pins on the board for the temp and fuel gauges. Do you think that I should start by trying to find a few more voltage limiters and swap em out? Or should I remove the pins and solder new wires directly to the board? I havent checked the sender yet but the cluster looks like it needs work anyways, so i want to start there. Plus, i dont wanna pull the tank unless absolutely necessary.

I don't have any help to offer...just looking forward to the replies. My temp gauge doesnt work (when i touch the wire to the frame it doesn't peg either) and my gas gauge only goes up to about 5/8 full.

I got my 70 dart swinger home after buying it and the temp gauge never worked then the fuel gauage stopped working two days later. removed the cluster and unbolted the gauges from the circuit board found some corrosion there and some at the pins for the dash harness. cleaned the board and pins made sure everything was tight when plugging the connectors in. reinstalled the dash and everyhing works perfect. corrosion is a bad thing will cause high resistance and cause gauge to not work or read incorrectly.

Well, I pulled the cluster and took it inside and inspected it. There was some corrosion on the fuel gauge side on the five pins coming out of the back. I found that one of the pins was broken but it doesnt go to the fuel gauge anyway. I resoldered the connections and cleaned all the contact points. I got all the dash lights working and turn signal indicators. The gauges still dont work. The fuel gauge comes up a hair and stops well below empty. The coolant temp gauge doesnt move at all. I know that i have about 14v going into the limiter but the voltage coming out jumps from like 7v max to 0v very sporadically. I went to the junkyard and rounded up several limiters but none seems to change anything. Do you guys think I should go ahead and make a solid state replacement for the limiter?

Try checking the sender in the gas tank. I had a hole in my float so it was not floating any more.

If you don't pull the voltage limiter you will fry bolth gauges. Chances are pretty good that if you have been driving around for a while with a blown limiter you will need to find new fuel and temp gauges. The limiter you can still order from local parts stores for between 5-12 bucks.

I think you might be right about my gauges being fried. But before i condemn them i tried to build the solid state limiter. I thought i hooked everything up right, but my output voltage is only 3.25ish volts. It that normal. And that 5-12 limiter jumped up to $37 so im avoiding buying one. Next im gonna, unwillingly, check the sending unit.

Clean all the contact points where copper trace meets gauge stud AND the flange of the nuts. The current path is actually through the nut to the gauge stud. Scuff LIGHTLY using WD-40 and scotch-brite pad.

Also, remove the gauges themselves and spray some electrical contact cleaner throughout the gauge. I did all the cleaning stuff listed here previously, but the fuel gauge didn't work until I used the contact cleaner. Don't use any other type of spray. Contact cleaner has a high alcohol content so it evaporates quickly.

It's a good idea to let the gauge dry completly for about 20 minutes before reinstalling.

Everybody has got good solutions and you might what to do those. I just bought a voltage limiter from Redline Gauges and that helped my gauges (2 or 3 year warranty) to work correctly and stop dancing. Also while you have the cluster out disconnect that amp meter and connect the two wires together or you will have a meltdown. Check out MAD web site below, you will have a better understanding of what’s going on back there.

http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp

For the fuel gauge, don't forget to check the ground strap on the pickup tube from the gas tank...usually gone or rusty.

-
Back