Stupid intake installation question

-

1973Barracuda

Reaction score
Just got my air gap in the mail and put it on. Followed the directions-which in hindsight makes me a bit nervous. Directions say to not use the cork end gaskets, just use RTV. I did so and it doesn't look like it will seal right. What do you guys think? BTW, it's on a 360 going in my Barracuda. Am I going back to the auto parts store for a new gasket?

Jason

Thanks in advance

Thanks! But I might re-do it anyway, I forgot to rtv around the water passages! This sight rocks-I am a former A-body guy, currently own an E-body. This site is way more active FEBO.

I'll concur and tell you WHY RTV is not right.

First get this. Do you know what happens to RTV after it cures...yeah we all do....it turns to jelly rubber.

Do you know what is right underneath your intake?
The Heart (cam) and the Soul (Crankshaft)...and the oil pan right?

I lost a damn good running 318 that came in a car I bought once to some idiot RTVing the entire front and rear of a stock TQ intake and around to the water passages, instead of using the supplied gasket(s) in a kit and minimal rtv to set it in place.....the squished out RTV later fell off in the cam/lifter galley, returned to the oil pan, continued to get sucked into the pickup, slowly losing oil pressure and worked the oil pump and valvetrain, and starved the crank till it went to knocking and finally siezed up.

When I tore the 318 out, and took off the pan...there looked like there was hardly any RTV in the pan....once I removed the pickup and knocked it on the ground....OMG....IT WAS ALL IN THE PICKUP/SCREEN!

Do what you want....But I use the gaskets the factory designed and recommend....tell ya what else I do.
I, torque the intake down, center bolts-out, then take a razor blade and razor cut the squished out gasket...and when you finish paint your engine, you dont even see the seam....and it NeVeR leaks until it gets disturbed.

I just went through this on my own 360....for my Duster.
Roller36095003.jpg

Oo, all black. like, it's the Phantom Meanace before my eyes. He he he he, cool looking engine there Prine.

I have never used a cork end seals. I use permatex ultra-grey as it is a rigid high torque sealer and never had an issue. the only time I use the supplied end seals is if they are rubber ones with the locating tabs. all you have to do is make sure you put a good thick bead without going over board and make sure the surfaces are clean.

-
Back