Stupid question of the day!

-

flingdingo

Reaction score
Hey all, I was sitting here studying the wiring diagram for my '64 Dart wagon (what? What do you do for fun then?) And I noticed there is a parking brake warning light...

I have never seen this light come on in my car. Where is it? Do I even have one? Was it an option that no one ordered? (Slant 6, automatic fwiw)

Inquiring (and slightly inebriated) minds want to know!

It was an option. Had a red light that mounted on the left side of the lower dash where it curved under, the wiring and a mechanical switch mounted on the E Brake assembly. I’ve owned several of the kits.

If you're curious I have that option in my 65 Valiant Convertible. Here is a pic of what it looks like. Looks a little hokey but it is handy to have. Not sure how common of an option it was. Nice wagon by the way.

Emergency Brake Warning Light 2.jpg

Emergency Brake Warning Light.jpg

I don't know where the switch would have been on that old girl, but on all the newer cars that "came that way" the switch was same or similar to a dome lamp switch and was right on the parking brake linkage. The path is power to the lamp--which is not a grounded lamp-------out the lamp to the switch-------and the switch grounds when brake is engaged.

No idea if the 64's were wired different

i suppose with the single master cylinder you wouldnt need a light to know you had no brakes...:)

I don't know where the switch would have been on that old girl, but on all the newer cars that "came that way" the switch was same or similar to a dome lamp switch and was right on the parking brake linkage. The path is power to the lamp--which is not a grounded lamp-------out the lamp to the switch-------and the switch grounds when brake is engaged.

No idea if the 64's were wired different

You are correct the switch rides on the parking brake linkage, switch itself looks very similar to the courtesy light switches in the door frame. This one is not connected to the master cylinder in any way, would be neat if that was the case.

i suppose with the single master cylinder you wouldnt need a light to know you had no brakes...:)

The hydraulic failure warning is on the same lamp as the parking brake, but just really tells you there' s a pressure drop in on or other of the tandem brake circuits. Frankly that warning is redundant to me. If there is a pressure problem, the driver should be able to recognize it quickly as the pedal will be lower, spongy, much different than normal.

On a side note, my Grandmother on my Mother's side is one person who NEEDED not only a "the parking brake is on" warning, but a warning to SET the thing!!!

When I was young my Grandpa had no less than THREE fluid drive Dodges. My Gramma had a BIG problem either forgetting to SET the thing---which on a fluid drive is the only damn thing that keeps the car from rolling--------and equally bad about RELEASING the brake---which burns up the brake so that it WON'T BRAKE anymore.
She wrecked all three cars!!!! One was a total, rolled down a steep hill and crashed and rolled over, one rolled down into a "crick" and damaged the front clip, and I forget what happened to the third, but they pulled the TAN front clip off the third car and married it to the DARK GREEN second wreck and made a useable car out of that mess.

On yet ANOTHER side story, we were pickin' huckleberries up "Rapid Lightning Creek" and Grampa drove over a rock and clipped the pan, draining the oil. We had to wait hours and hours up there in the woods for him to walk---for hours and hours---to find a phone and call my Dad at work..........who showed up eventually and pulled us all home LOL

Thanks for the info and the pics everyone. I figured it must be an optional thing.

It's wired (according to the diagram) exactly as 67Dart273 said... power from the same fuse as the rear window defrost, through the light and ground at the switch.

Interestingly, it's not shown on the '66 Dart diagram I have. Maybe Mopar gave up on the idea for a while?

-
Back