Stupid question...

-

Revhendo

Master ACME Tech
Reaction score
I'm swapping out the slanty and 904 for a 340/727. The 727 was a factory floor shift, but I want to keep the column shifter for now. Will the column linkage work on the 727 shift lever? Will the 904 shift lever work on the 727?

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people that don't ask questions.
I belive it should hook right up. Try leaving the arm on the 727. Just the hole
in it"might" be different size. May not! Just might take a little adjustment.

I BELIEVE the floor/ column levers are the same, but not sure about 904/727. One thing you will need---is the transmission itself. If you intend on using the factory console shifter rather than aftermarket, the trans must have the holes/ boss in the bottom casting to fasten the lower bracket for the shifter Not all housings have these holes/ bosses

Attachments

• 72shifter.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 72shifter2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 128
I think he want's to use the column shifter.

I think I do, too. Kinda liking the bench seat, grandma look on the inside. I know with aftermarket shifters, they supply on shift lever for both transmissions. Modding something isn't beyond me, but I prefer to kill brain cells only when needed.

Put the paint can away Kev.

The lower rod is different from 904 to 727 on the column shift stuff according to parts books for 70-71. I didn't look whether the lever was different

also the bracket with the gromet that bolts to the bellhousing for the cross-shaft may be different.

Well doggy! Wouldn't be the first linkage I've had to fab up.
Anybody got some extra 727 column shift linkage for an A body they ain't using? :D

-
Back