sub-frame rust

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I just found rust damage where the passenger side torsion bar passes through the sub-frame. The front + rear vertical sections of the box are still there and relatively intact. The entire "floor" of the box is so completly gone it looks like it was never there. So there are some things even I know:
1 - it's gotta get fixed
2 - there will be welding involved
other than that, I'm all ears and looking for ideas! I am also a beleiver in the "function over form" philosophy.

they make caps that slide over your existing cross member and can be welded in place to re-enforce this common problem area.

well, lol I'd take advantage of this and put in sub frame connecters! jegs has them, never seen'em. but this is an ideal time for it since theres rust problems. just my opinion.

Well, you could just patch it up if you have enough good metal left.

My option would be to find the best used replacement i could find, drill out all the spot welds and do a correct, full replacement.

Never mind used replacement parts for this repair, and there is no spot welds near rear torsion bar attachment point. Fix it correctly and safely the first time.

From personal experience when that bar decides to twist out of the reminder of cross member it goes violently, and the car will drop to its bump stop on the bad side. Oh, and your foot, if on the floor of the car when the driver’s side lets go will sting for a quite a while… The driver’s side is often the one to let go first.

Safe T Cap sells a well-engineered repair part that correctly positions the bar, and is large enough to spread the large torsional forces generated by the torsion bar to the cross member.
http://autorust.com/store/index.php...page=4&zenid=8b2c942cfbd6b478a90832410bda7165

I agree replace the whole cross member with a original piece.The Safe T Caps are a joke,they are just thin metal caps that go over your already rusted frame.

Jim

I have a complete T-bar cross member from rocker to rocker PM me if interested.

I'm with most of the member's....... it is much safer, and the more approriate and right way to fix it, is to find a nicely drilled off torsion bar crossmember. And if you ever decide to sell the car, this will be an area where the new buyer would take a good look at anyway. We normally have these available..but we just sold our last one to a member here on this site. Good luck

-
Back