Successful installation

-

doktor_x

ronin phantom
Reaction score
After poking around and studying a fair bit, I ordered the Pypes 2.5" X-pipe system with Race Pro mufflers. The system was delivered on Friday afternoon and rough-fitted Friday evening. On Saturday, I enlisted the assistance of well-known FABO good guy ramcharger to manifest the one-of-a-kind custom stepped downpipes and they turned out beautifully. It's like a different car now that it can breathe.

I'll post some video toward the middle of the week when the weather returns to the freakish and unseasonably warm trend that has been running lately.

Looking foward to this Doktor, allways like good news after a procedure. Glad te subject is doing well, looking foward to progress reports.:cheers:

Thank you Daredevil, Dok bought the beer and pizza so it was a good trade. :) Have mig welder, will work for food and beer. It definitely took some fancy welding to fab up the compound angle on the passenger side, but we got her done.

I'm impressed with the Pypes system and will probably purchase the same system for my Duster when the time comes. I was a bit worried about migging up the stainless but it welded beautifully.

Cant wait to see some pics when you get a chance! Well done Joe, always there to lend a helping hand to someone in need!!

Thanks Dawg. I really enjoy welding and fabrication and it was nice to get the job done and keep my mind off the present employment situation. Nothing quite like melting metal to make me feel better, lol.

:) Have mig welder, will work for food and beer. It definitely took some fancy welding to fab up the compound angle on the passenger side, but we got her done.

Hey ramcharger....was hoping it read "have mig welder, will travel"....then I read it again....LOL :rolleyes:

I bought some mufflers this weekend at a swapmeet and the exhaust on the Demon will be a challenge I've been told. Nice of you to help out a fellow member, great job. :thumbup:

Sorry about the lighting (or utter lack thereof). I figured this was at least a step toward putting something up while it's still kinda mid-week.

This is the Pypes Performance 2.5" system with x-pipe and Race Pro mufflers. I'm hoping to get some in-car video this weekend as well as pictures of my solution to hanging the tailpipes at an acceptable height. The hangers included with the kit were a bit long for using the factory holes in the frame rail. The kit gets my seal of approval nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pVsJUi_2-8

The engine is an essentially stock 318 with an LD4B intake and 600cfm Holley vacuum secondary carb. As you can hear, it could do with a clean set of plugs and some tuning.

Teaser is right.

(Riots break out across the country....)

I screwed in a fresh set of plugs and took the mighty Dart out to US 93. The microphone in my camera did a passable job of picking up the exhaust. It's a little louder in person, but not obnoxiously so. One of these days, I'll get an actual video camera for this sort of thing. The first 3 minutes or so give a reasonable idea of what it sounds like. If you stick it out for the scenery, this is 5 minutes and 18 seconds you'll never get back. :yawinkle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktH07mdljM

Sounds good. I've got the same system. The Race Pros have a nice bark when you get on it.

Thank you for that! I've been eying that same system for my '70 318 Duster for almost a year and have been waiting for someone to post an exhaust clip of that system on a near-stock 318. Now I know exactly what mine will sound like!

Hey ramcharger, any chance you might be able to help me out with a set of downpipes too? I'm only an hour or so away from Denver and I might be able to scratch together enough funds in a few months to get that same system. I don't drink beer though, so there might have to be another form of "currency" involved...

All stainless?

Whats it cost?
It appears to be all stainless. The description said something about parts of the system being aluminized mild steel, but none of it looked quite like aluminized steel tubing I've dealt with previously. Several of the sections of pipe had decals with a part number and the word "stainless" while others had just a part number.

I got it through Summit for $325 shipped.

$325.00 Shipped???? That seems really reasonable. Right on. I doubt I'll be able to use it on my car though. These early A-body's always have a draw back involved.

$325.00 Shipped???? That seems really reasonable. Right on. I doubt I'll be able to use it on my car though. These early A-body's always have a draw back involved.
Honestly, I haven't spent enough time looking at the underside of the pre-67 cars to say whether or not it would slide right in. The only bends that appear to be really model specific are the over-the-axle pipes. The gas tank and/or leaf springs may be in spots different enough to make them a no-go. This is assuming that the "suspension cavity" (for lack of a better term) is of similar dimension to the later cars.

Hey ramcharger....was hoping it read "have mig welder, will travel"....then I read it again....LOL :rolleyes:

I bought some mufflers this weekend at a swapmeet and the exhaust on the Demon will be a challenge I've been told. Nice of you to help out a fellow member, great job. :thumbup:

Thanks 6pak. :-D

I screwed in a fresh set of plugs and took the mighty Dart out to US 93. The microphone in my camera did a passable job of picking up the exhaust. It's a little louder in person, but not obnoxiously so. One of these days, I'll get an actual video camera for this sort of thing. The first 3 minutes or so give a reasonable idea of what it sounds like. If you stick it out for the scenery, this is 5 minutes and 18 seconds you'll never get back. :yawinkle:

Nice choice of road Dok. :-D That's always been a nice drive when the wind isn't blowing 100 mph. I've heard this car in person and it sounds great. Very mellow compared to the RC.

Hey ramcharger, any chance you might be able to help me out with a set of downpipes too? I'm only an hour or so away from Denver and I might be able to scratch together enough funds in a few months to get that same system.

I'd much prefer doing a header set-up vs. downpipes from stock manifolds. This was quite the fabrication endeavor. Now that I've done it once though, I imagine that the second one would be quite a bit quicker. :-D

I'd much prefer doing a header set-up vs. downpipes from stock manifolds. This was quite the fabrication endeavor. Now that I've done it once though, I imagine that the second one would be quite a bit quicker. :-D

You didn't happen to make a template of sorts, did you....?

I enlisted the assistance of well-known FABO good guy ramcharger to manifest the one-of-a-kind custom stepped downpipes

What size are the steps? Is it possible to get a 2 1/2" down pipes from the manifold? It looks very difficult on the drivers side with the starter, torsion bar and other obstructions.

What size are the steps? Is it possible to get a 2 1/2" down pipes from the manifold? It looks very difficult on the drivers side with the starter, torsion bar and other obstructions.
The outlets on my no-performance manifolds are maybe 1.750. The downpipes we whipped-up reused the first few inches of the factory pipes, which were something like 1.5 or 1.625, then stepped up to 2.0 followed by 2.25 and finally into the 2.5 system. It was one of those "raid the exhaust tubing at Autozone for elbows" deals. As bizarre as the description may read, it turned out very nicely. It works quite well, but will eventually make way for a set of Spitfires when cash flow allows.

I'll snap a few pictures when the weather has been decent for a few days and the ground has dried up a bit.

I just realized that I failed to utilize the "A Team" and "Macgyver" theme song mp3s on my phone while the construction was under way. These tunes have come in handy on several other projects. :cool:

I'm dragging up an old thread rather than creating a new one. Here's a quick teaser video (taken on my phone for ultimate quality) following the installation of a camshaft with all of its lobes intact. I'll get around to a better video when the weather improves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5TNwegjYg

-
Back